Sunday, July 24, 2011

Blueberry woes and joys

One of the unexpected benefits of eating treats only once a week is that I get to choose a recipe and salivate over it for days and days before I make it. Chocolate chip cookie pie was one of those. This week's edition was fruit pizza.

I started out thinking I'd make blueberry pie, which hankering was brought on by watching this episode of Dirty Jobs. I dreamed about blueberry pie for a few weeks before I finally decided to just make one myself. Then I went to Spinneys (because their berries are better than Carrefour's) and calculated that to buy the standard four cups of blueberries required to make a pie, it would cost me $26. (To this day, I have successfully blocked my mind from calculating how many pounds of blueberries I could pick myself for that price at Ithaca's Grisamore Farms.)

Needless to say, a blueberry pie was, very sadly, not in the cards for me. So I settled on the fruit pizza recipe, realizing that while I would be paying the same proportional price for those precious blueberries, the total cost would be much easier on my wallet (about $3).

Friday took its sweet time coming around, but when it did, hoo boy:

So yes, I am really enjoying the "homemade sweets once a week" deal. If I had a packet of peanut M&Ms ready to eat anytime, I would probably not bother making something like this. But when it's a rare treat and I have to make it myself...well, I might as well make something AWESOME.

5 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

That looks amazing! I'm glad you still got some blueberries. Yum.

I should institute this rule. You might have inspired me to pull the trigger on this!

Katie said...

I am majorly impressed. Not only that you're only eating treats once a week, but that you're making such amazing ones.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Very pretty!

Glenda The Good said...

This fruit pizza looks amazing! It makes me want to do something special with my blueberries, but alas I am lazy and so they are just going to be used as a sweetner in my greek style yogurt. Do I get any points for the fact that the yogurt is homemade :)

Sarah and Trent said...

That's actually such a good idea! I need to cut down on my sweets intake...maybe I'll try copying you :) And the fruit pizza looks delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails