Monday, August 01, 2011

A series of unfortunate haircuts

Poor Magdalena. In her almost three years of life, she has had exactly one good haircut. It doesn't seem to matter who does the cutting, or what the style is - it never looks quite right.

I think it's my own fault. I started the curse of the bad haircut when I cut her hair for the first time back in January 2010. Let's just say I didn't really understand how bangs are supposed to work. Maybe we can also say that Magdalena was squirming a lot so that's why I did such a bad job. Yeah...that's it.
And of course this was just days before her Uncle Dave got married, so she was in about a million gorgeous professional pictures looking like this. Argh.


The bangs grew to a better length and then I thought maybe we'd grow them out to avoid that situation ever happening again.

Then I changed my mind in a moment of weakness and had the bangs cut again (this time professionally).
It was OK, I guess. But looking back at pictures of Magdalena, the bangs + long hair is the least favorite hairstyle stage for both Jeremy and me.

So we decided maybe bangs + short hair would work better. And then began the Pageboy Stage.
Jeremy hated it. I kind of liked it. For a little while.

Then came the one good haircut Magdalena has ever had in her life. And wouldn't you know it, she had it done in QATAR. It was a cute little A-line bob, with bangs. Lovely.

From that point on, we took her in to our normal haircutting place and had them maintain this same cut. Only they didn't, really. The thing about hair salons/barbershops in the Middle East (aside from that one place in Qatar, apparently) is that they sit and listen to you tell them what you want, and then they do what they were going to do in the first place anyway. Always. For a whole year's worth of haircuts in Syria, Jeremy would come home afterwards and fix the part in front that the barber always left long because that was the stylish shabaab haircut at the time. Sigh.

Anyway, Magdalena's pretty bob gradually morphed into THIS:
...which reminded us of THIS:
(and you should really read this).

For a while, I thought maybe we'd grow out the bangs:

Or disguise them with a headband:

But then I thought we'd go in and have it re-cut, fresh and new, into that original wonderful A-line bob with nice bangs. That did NOT happen. We went in at an unusual time and the one lady who has done an at least decent job on Magdalena's hair wasn't there. So another lady did it, and did it terribly. It looked so bad, I could hardly stand to look at it. It looked so bad, I considered giving Magdalena a pair of scissors so she would chop off some locks and then when we were out in public, I could give a rueful smile and say she did it herself.

It looked so bad, we decided to cut her hair ourselves. And cut it short. What can I say? Obviously, drastic measures were called for.

Here is Before:

And here is After:


Maybe it's just the comparison with what it was before, but I think I love it. I used a picture of Emma Watson's new hairstyle as my guide. The bangs are still a bit wonky, but there wasn't much I could do about that since it was left over from the previous bad haircut.

Now that I've seen her run around and play while wearing this hairdo, I've decided that it really fits her personality better than the longer hairstyles. Maybe this haircut is The One. Here's hoping.

15 comments:

Melody said...

I really like the bangs plus long hair cut picture. I haven't seen all of the other pictures of that cut, of course, but she looks adorable there! But, I do like the a-line bob better. Her new do is also very adorable.

A tip on cutting bangs (not that I'm a professional at it or anything). Cut them longer than you think you want them (you can always cut off more if you decide they are too long). Hold the scissors parallel to the hair instead of perpendicular, and take little snips. That way you won't have a line straight across.

Liz Johnson said...

I LOVE IT!!!! I love her new look. It's so adorable. You did a fabulous job!

Aww... that really does fit her sassy personality well. :)

Bridget said...

Trust me, Melody, there were lots of terrible long hair + bangs pictures. I just chose to put up the cutest one so you got the idea.

I should pass on your bangs-cutting technique to the professional stylist!

Thanks, Liz!

Nancy said...

I did the same thing with Miriam. I cut her bangs and thought "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!"

We're in the growing-out stage now...

But Magdalena's new haircut looks awesome!

Kathy Haynie said...

I love her new haircut. Maybe it's because my dad cut my hair in a very similar cut (they were called "pixie cuts" back in the 60s) all through my childhood. The first time I remember going to a professional stylist was when I was in high school. I've grown out my hair a couple of times, but mostly I still wear it short.

Katie said...

I am super impressed that:

1. You cut her hair and it turned out so well and
2. That she can pull of a cute little pixie cut.

Major props to you both.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Yay for the pixie cut. I had one much of my growing up years and it was an easy wash-and-wear.

Myrna said...

Josie wants to have Emma Watson's haircut, too. AND Josie had a just-before-wedding-as-a-flower-girl disastrous haircut, too. Who knew she and Magdalena had so much in common? :o)

Crys said...

Love the pixie cut! That being said what is with this "The One" talk :)

Susanne said...

What a cute little girl! And I love her new hair cut.

robin said...

oh, that is definitely the haircut for her!

i love a cute short haircut on a little girl! (ahem, macy.)

I LOVE IT!

Rob and Sara said...

That cut is so cute on her! Great job!

Julie said...

Cute hair cut- I'm impressed! I always cut our boys' hair with clippers because when I've tried to let it stay long enough to cut with scissors, I totally butchered it. You did a great job! She's so cute- I hope she has a happy birthday!

Amanda said...

I love that you called her bangs "wonky." You are assimilating well.

Anonymous said...

You've really made me chuckle! Your daughter is adorable. On a positive note, it seems to me that you've written a good chunk of 'the father of the bride' speech!! To finish the story off you do need a photo of hair cut by M!! Which is why I'm reading ur blog. My daughter couldn't brush the knot out so resorted to scissors..... Grrr...
:-)
Clara C

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails