Friday, September 23, 2011

September 23rd, outsourced

Compare and contrast: Sesame Street teaching the letter G in the 1970s, and Sesame Street teaching the letter G in the 2010s.

No really, how many continents are there? [via BCC, via this delightful podcast featuring Ken Jennings]

I took a look at the 5-inch floppy disk on the Museum of Obsolete Objects and the images and sounds brought back a flood of memories of playing Carmen Sandiego and F-15 Strike Eagle or whatever it was called. [via OSC]

No matter how well behaved your children are in the car, I promise you've had this happen to you.

My friend Jen sent me a link to Flowing Data. They collect pretty pictures/graphs/data plots that teach and tell us so many interesting things. Love it. For example, look at the progression of Crayola crayon colors.

Susanne pointed out this video last week, namely that Russia has a few James Bonds running its government, while we have, well...

I reserve the right to write a longer blog post about this article sometime soon, but in the meantime, please read it: My Family's Experiment in Extreme Schooling. It blew my mind even as it reassured me that we are not the only weirdos out there who buck the trend of sending our kids to the mainstream expat school.

7 comments:

Crys said...

Hmm, I had mixed feelings about that extreme schooling article. On the one hand I totally see the benefits to having your child be totally immersed into another culture. On the other hand, for a child like me who was awkward enough when I was totally on an even plane, that would have been pure torture :) Plus does it ever seem like everything reporters do in their lives they are thinking, "How can I turn this into a good article/book." ;) If I was his wife I would have killed him!

Crys said...

PS I love the mayhem commercial and have to say I have actually seen kids do that. My friend had three boys in a row. Let's just say that van was a biohazard on wheels!

Jen said...

Ken Jennings' new book should be on my doorstep TODAY. I'm so excited. I even posted on his message boards the other day...(geeky, huh)....and he replied. Eee!

Also? A fair warning--some of the Flowing Data posts are...colorful. Just sayin'. =)

Bridget said...

Crys, yeah, I felt like the article glossed over the difficult period a little bit. It almost made me sick inside to read since we went through some of that when we first moved here even without the school issue.

Liz Johnson said...

Yeah... I don't know how I feel about the extreme schooling one, either. I admit that I'm extremely grateful my parents didn't throw me in an all-Spanish-speaking school when I got to Mexico (although it was half in Spanish, with remedial classes for the newbies).

I have totally been hit in the back of the head while driving more times than I can count. Sometimes I wonder how my children have survived.

Susanne said...

The extreme school video and article were very interesting. I enjoyed watching the children tell about their experiences and then reading the article by their father. I felt sorry for them in the beginning, but was happy to see how they had succeeded in the end.

Andrew's cousin's daughter went to a Spanish immersion magnet school near her home. It's not at all like what the Levy children experienced in Russia, but Nicole started when she was in kindergarten and learned Spanish quite well. (Most core classes were completely in Spanish.)

I think she went to this one:

http://www.gcsnc.com/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=286679&linkid=nav-menu-container-4-813808




The Sesame Street links were great.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

All of those "mayhem" commercials are amusing--there must be 10 of them. My favorites, besides the kid in the backseat, are the teen mowing the lawn and the raccoon living in the attic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails