Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Farewell, sweet and twenty

(Sweet and twenty.)

Today is the last day of my twenties.

Part of me is resisting subscribing to the standard cultural aversion toward aging. Of course I'm not thrilled that my body is getting older and necessarily moving toward reduced functionality, however miniscule or far-off that prospect is. After all, whatever age-related challenges are ahead, they are closer now than they were last year.

But another part of me is mourning the passage of my twenties for more than just the "haha, groan, I'm another year older and this time, for the first time, my age starts with a three" reason. Pretty much every major event of my adult life happened in my twenties, so I am sad to see the end of that decade.

(Also, the disconnect between my real age and my self-perceived age is undeniable now. I suspect I will feel like I'm a twenty-something for a few years yet, especially seeing that I've only recently accepted that I'm no longer in my early twenties.)

What's to come is still unsure. Even though my twenties were jam-packed with adventure and change and growth and challenges, I bet my thirties will come up with something to entertain me.

So hooray, I'll be thirty tomorrow, and proud of it. Bring it on.

12 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

As a seasoned 30er of three months, I can say that the 30s are totally underrated. It's like I'm no longer expected to be cool, so there's way less pressure! Yes, I'm 30! I don't ever shop in the junior's section anymore! It's been rather liberating. :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (tomorrow)!!!!!!!

Kathy Haynie said...

Happy birthday tomorrow. I had more fun in my 30s than I did in my 20s...nothing to dread, lots to look forward to!

karina said...

I'll be 35 in December. So far my 30's have been awesome - and things I did in my early 20's feel like a different lifetime. I do struggle with feeling a little "old," but I think that's mainly because my husband is younger than I am.

Sarah Rose Evans said...

Happy Birthday! I share your dislike of the cultural asversion to aging, while still being affected by my personal feelings for growing older. But with every thing you've got going on /accoplished, you can say your twenties were a success.

Crys said...

I heard an author on NPR recently say that it just barely hit him that he was 55....like a ton of bricks. Apparently before that he thought he was still in his mid twenties...or felt like he was in his mid twenties, or something like that. I think that is totally true. The numbers get bigger but why would you feel any different just because it was one day later then the day before. I still feel 21, although my kids and the fact that almost four of my younger siblings have passed that point make that obviously not a possibility. The only thing I hate about thirty, being in relief society groups where people ask how old you are, and then are like, "Oh my gosh, really you're thirty. That is so old. Wow, I'm only twenty-eight." To them I say, "Thanks for nothing you idiot!" Hope you enjoy your birthday! Maybe it be filled with delicious confections and obedient children :)

Tia said...

Happy 30th Bridget!!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

The 30s are better than the 20s, and the 40s are better than the 30s. Verdict isn't in yet about the 50s but am hoping the pattern will continue.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I'm on the verge of turning 32 myself. Turning 30 felt strange, but I think so far I like my thirties better than my twenties.

Hannah

dave said...

Happy Birthday, Bridget!

Kelli said...

happy birthday Bridget!

Jill said...

Happy birthday! 1981 was a good year for humanity.

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails