Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What do Bill Gates and Queen Rania have in common?

Teaching is going so well. I'll tell you what, I love teaching, and I love teaching in the UAE. I know the answer is probably "a lot of places," but allow me to rhetorically ask you, where else, when you assign students to give a presentation on a successful person they admire, would you get a variety such as this?










Quite a few students talked about successful people who are not famous, like dads, moms, and aunts. I loved just sitting there and listening to them talk about someone they admire, and why. The most entertaining presentation was the one about Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, aka Dubai's crown prince, aka the UAE's (and possibly the entire Gulf's) most eligible (albeit engaged) royal bachelor. His picture (third one from the top, above) went up on the first Power Point slide and half the class - the female half - about sighed itself out of their seats. After the presentation, the students got into some kind of minor dispute about something His Highness did and it only came to an end when one girl snapped, "He's handsome, so maalesh [no problem]!"

Like I said, I love teaching in the UAE.

5 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Aw, that guy is rather dreamy! :)

I'm so, so, so glad that you love teaching. And that it's fulfilling and satisfying. That is so awesome! I bet you're an amazing teacher.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I would swoon for him too if I were 18 and single. May he age attractively (unlike some of the Saudi princes--think Jabba the Hut).
But what has he actually accomplished in his life to deserve being admired?

Susanne said...

Your mom asks a good question!

I do think that guy is handsome!

I like hearing about your teaching in the UAE. Thanks for sharing! Very cute post. :)

Bridget Palmer said...

WELL, Mom, according to my student's presentation, he is an accomplished poet and equestrian. He is also on a lot of councils, including an autism awareness council. He was also instrumental in having the driver's license black points system put in place. You'd be surprised how talented some of these royals are. This prince's sister (I think - the families are all interconnected so it gets confusing to me sometimes) is a famous karate competitor. I think maybe she even went to the Olympics...?

Bridget Palmer said...

Here's the princess I'm talking about: Maitha bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails