Thursday, November 17, 2011

November 18th, outsourced

OK, so maybe this is more of an advertisement than a news article, but the Gulf News recently ran a piece about rental properties in the tallest building in the world. It's worth a gander to see what life on the other side is like. Also: what happens when you flush a toilet in the Burj Khalifa? [HT on that second article, Andrew]

For some reason, this one lady gets any SMS messages intended for any person named Leila that are misdirected by the senders. She started a blog to document the weird, one-sided conversations she has with hundreds of strangers.

This is the most coherent, lucid, nuanced article about - for sad lack of a better term - Mormon Mommy Bloggers that I've ever read. The author really gets it, you know? [HT Lyse]

I had a few good laughs looking through this collection of LIFE magazine's worst covers ever. Seriously, some of them are SO BAD. [HT Kathy]

Of these 11 Sounds That Your Kids Have Probably Never Heard, I can personally remember seven. How about you? [HT BCC]

I know where I'll be getting the bulk of my information about the 2012 presidential candidates.

I mentioned a few Amazon review bombs before. Here is a new one to add to the list (check out the user-submitted photos). [HT Jeremy]

So, um, Jeremy and I are still rabid fans of Out of the Wild: Venezuela and it's possible that we make an effort to check up on the cast members' lives from time to time (via Twitter, FB, Google searches, etc.). This video (featuring Ryan and Nick) may not be interesting to you unless you've seen the show, but then again...maybe it will. [HT Jeremy]

7 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Wow. I hope you are extra careful when driving next to a large tanker. Imagine what would happen if one of them was hit by a train or something. Ugh.

You know... even though I don't read a ton of the famous Mormon Mommy blogs, I freaking love blogs in general. I really think I would have been holed up in my closet crying because I was SO ALONE IN THE WORLD (!!!!!!!!!) if I hadn't come across several blogs that keep me sane.

Also, I remember quite a few of those sounds. We had a rotary phone in Mexico, and the click-click-clicking sound still floods me with nostalgia.

And that LIFE cover with the creepy singing child is going to give me nightmares.

Jen said...

Many of those sounds are relegated to the movies and novelty shops.

But somehow, I've heard all of them, and all but one "from the source."
In my home 1,2,5,8,10,11
At my granparents home 3,4
Around town 7,9
In the movies 6

Fun collection!
~Joe.

Kathy Haynie said...

I remember all of the sounds from real life (57 years old). I especially remember the manual typewriter. I typed term papers on it in high school. By the time I was in college I had access to an electric (!) typewriter. My parents gave me the old manual typewriter last year as a birthday present, and I was thrilled.

I love the blogging article.

Jessie said...

Ugh, that Mormon Mommy article was awful! My sister and I bemoaned it all day yesterday. LDS women came across as lazy, vain, self-absorbed, not to mention ignorant and bigoted. A couple of her friends were quoted in it and they were so embarrassed. I told her that the saddest part about it is that the article wrote itself.

Jessie said...

In my opinion :)

Suzanne Bubnash said...

You probably never heard the percolater (obviously because we don't drink coffee), the flash cube, or the film projector. Do you remember the old cash registers we had to play with? Some store was upgrading theirs, so we got a couple of their old ones.

Bridget said...

Huh. I guess I thought it was a million times better than this article, which gave me the reaction you just described.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails