Tuesday, April 03, 2012

When is it a good time for Pocari Sweat?

We've rediscovered the sports beverage Pocari Sweat here. It's quite popular and people seem to enjoy it un-ironically. Maybe when English is your second language, Pocari Sweat isn't such a funny name.

There's a certain packaging that comes on a six-pack of Pocari Sweat here that makes Jeremy and me laugh. It lists all the occasions where it might be appropriate to consume Pocari Sweat. I couldn't find the exact wording online (and I haven't seen that packaging recently to get my own picture), but it's something like this, from the official website:

We love this idea that it is ALWAYS a good time to enjoy a Pocari Sweat, no matter how bizarre or insignificant the occasion. Throughout the day, we'll say to each other things like, "I just took out the trash...Oh! Time for a Pocari Sweat!" or "It's almost time for bed...better have a Pocari Sweat."

If Pocari Sweat itself is to believed, it is never not a good time to enjoy one. Hooray!

PS - I am pretty sure that the UAE-available Pocari Sweats don't include that bit about hangovers.

7 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I have a hard time ever imagining myself indulging in a beverage with "sweat" in the title. I just... no. I can't.

Jessie said...

Omg, the diarrhea picture!

Elena Bebe said...

I tried it first sometime during my teenage years and thought it tasted horrid.
Now, I actually quite like it (even though I don't drink it all too often).

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I'm pretty sure I couldn't drink something out of a container sporting a picture of someone being sick on the toilet.

breanne said...

I drank Pocari Sweat almost every day when I lived in Taiwan. Some days several times a day, depending on how hot it was. I loved it, even with the crazy name! It was so hot all the time and I was always riding my bike, making me sweat a lot. I always imagined that the "pocari sweat" was supposed to replace the fluids I lost by sweating, which made the name less awkward. I didn't know they had it outside of Taiwan...I wish they had it here!

Bridget said...

I think it's originally Japanese. I know they had it all over the place when I was there. The name is weird but it does taste better than Gatorade!

breanne said...

I just checked the website and it looks like it is available in several Middle Eastern countries! I am almost tempted to cross the border into Egypt just to get some. If it's in Egypt, maybe it will get to Israel and the West Bank soon...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails