Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Axis of Semi-Evil, ten years on

In early 2002, this humorous article about an Axis of Semi-Evil came out. Jeremy and I read it and laughed and laughed. It was just a few months after 9/11, and President Bush had described an Axis of Evil (of Iran, Iraq, and North Korea) in his State of the Union address.

For some reason, I got to thinking about this article recently. I don't know where it was originally published [thanks to Steve in the comments, the link has been updated to its original source], but you can find it at the link above. Read it. It's still funny, even hilarious. But parts of it also made me sad, parts that didn't make me sad ten years ago.

The idea of a sulking Bashar al-Assad isn't as innocuous as it once was. Saddam Hussein is dead. Libya is different. Iran is different (kind of). North Korea has a different leader, even if he's more of the same. I think the Kissinger line would probably refer to Newt Gingrich if this article were written today.

What do you think? Does a re-read of this article ten years later make you laugh or cry, or a little of both?

8 comments:

Susanne said...

Ah, poor Palestine! I think this category name was my favorite "Sierra Leone, El Salvador, and Rwanda applied to be called the Axis of Countries That Aren't the Worst But Certainly Won't Be Asked to Host the Olympics Any Time Soon."

It's amazing how many books I read these days that aren't even that old, but they are outdated simply because of the Arab awakening. It's rather amazing how fast things can change - even after decades of them being the same!

God bless Syria. :(

Julia - Finding My Way Softly said...

It was funny and sad at the same time. The world sure has changed since then.

Steve said...

This was originally published on Satirewire in 2002. You can still find it on their website by doing a search for "axis."

Bridget said...

Steve, thanks. Also, I was intrigued to see that my initial hunch that the Kissinger stuff was added in later is right. That part does not appear in the original article.

Liz Johnson said...

This reminds me of that SNL skit with Will Ferrell adding people to the axis of evil. "Evil Knievel - well that was a no brainer. But Dr. Evil? He makes me laugh, so he's out."

AND DON'T FORGET FRANCE.

Liz Johnson said...

Ok, yeah, that article had me cracking right up. "Canada, Mexico, and Australia formed the Axis of Nations That Are Actually Quite Nice But Secretly Have Nasty Thoughts About America."

Sarah Familia said...

"a cautious Bush granted approval for most axes." Hilarious. But so sad.

Crys said...

"That's not a threat, really, just something we like to do," said Scottish Executive First Minister Jack McConnell....considering current events maybe I shouldn't have laughed...but it was just too delicious not to :

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails