Thursday, June 07, 2012

Dedicated to running

My friend Eevi is doing an awesome job of training for a marathon, and it reminded me of my younger days when I used to run/train seriously. I've just never gotten back into the groove after having kids, which makes Eevi's dedication all the more admirable to me.

I got to thinking about the weird times I went running when it would have been more sane to not go. We went on a family vacation to Alaska when I was 14 and even though we were on the road in an RV or in strange, unfamiliar surroundings or going from place to place in ferries, I squeezed in a run almost every day. I went on some great runs in Denali National Park, and around town in Skagway. That's kind of normal. But I also remember one night when we pulled off the side of some random highway in Alaska to sleep for the night and I "went on a run" (I use the term loosely) by doing laps around the RV on the gravel shoulder of the road.

I remember going running on a high school track in Boise, Idaho really late at night in freezing temperatures, for some reason.

I also used to go running more than once a day, for some reason.

My best, weirdest run was when I was maybe 16 or 17 and for some reason, I decided to go running at 11 o'clock at night. I had good parents, so of course they did not let me go alone. As a compromise (bless my parents), my dad said I could go on a run and he would circle around the neighborhood in the car to make sure I was OK. Picture it: a young woman running late at night followed at low, creepy speed by a dark car driven by an older man. At one point, a lady driving by us saw me and immediately stopped, rolled down her window, and yelled over in a genuinely concerned voice, "Are you OK??" I told her the guy following me was my dad and she was so relieved. I'm sure it was still kind of weird, though.

Running beyond all reason here, now, would mean going out in 100+-degree temperatures and unbearable humidity. I'm looking forward to being in the US next month so I can go on my first summertime run in two years.

7 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

I made a random goal this past Sunday to run or go on the exercise bike every day, Mon-Fri. (Random because I hadn't been doing any exercise at all except going on walks.) I figured I'd end up just going on the exercise bike, but Bryan and I have now gone running 3 days in a row. Which, by the way, is our record of the number of times we've gone running before we totally call it quits. Haha. I think part of our so-far success is due to the fact that we found a nice park to run at and the other factor is that the weather has been super nice this week. I just know it's going to get hot again soon (though not as hot as I'm sure it is there), but I hope I'll be able to find a way to keep running. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm enjoying it, but, well, a little bit I am. :) Have fun running in the US when you come to visit!

Elena Bebe said...

What about using a treadmill? Or do you just not like that?

Crys said...

God Bless your dad who didn't just say no but came up with a good compromise and God Bless that woman who was willing to check up on you. What if he had been some creepy weird stalker...she could have saved your life :)

Eevi said...

I cant believe you used to run more than once a day--I only did it once when I was training for the ragnar relay. Yes, the hot temperatures definitely make running so hard. I am in Utah now (few days before the race) and LOVED my run this morning when it was about 70 degrees outside.

Mikael said...

I can totally relate to this, not the running but me being an obsessive dancer. Once I started having kids I have never had the chance to take regular ballet classes, it kills me! hopefully one day we can both revisit our obsessive passions!

Bridget said...

I just don't like treadmills. :)

Teresa Jane said...

I have started running! I know it sounds lame, but it is a pretty big deal. I haven't been a runner since high school, and I was never into it like you were. But it has been two weeks and I love it. It is almost an obsession. I am eating 1000 calories a day and I run for about 45 minutes, four times a week. I had forgotten how good it feels. I go at dusk, and I can see the Tetons as I lap Sugar City. I want to try to keep it up when I am in Oregon this summer, so you will have to help motivate me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails