Monday, July 02, 2012

Sugar and spice and all that's nice...NOT

I think sometimes people assume that, unlike little boys, little girls are completely uninterested in the grosser side of bodily functions. In my own experience, this is absolutely not the case. I don't have any boys so I don't have a solid benchmark to refer to, but my kids (both girls) are plenty silly about the potty and what goes in it and the different ways that our bodies make noise while expelling air. It's shocking (and hilarious) sometimes.

For example, today I was going through a stack of the kids' drawings to see what was worth saving and I came across this gem, drawn by Miriam:

Then there was the time when Magdalena was all of one year old and we had guests over and someone was saying a prayer and Miriam passed gas and Magdalena announced, loud and clear during the prayer, while we had guests over, "TOOTS!" Also, one time Magdalena burped (she burps A LOT) and she thoughtfully said, "Hmm, a toot came out of my mouth!"

Another time Miriam could not stop talking about a particular BM she had and she even went to the whiteboard and drew a picture of it. (I actually have a photo of the drawing because it ended up in the background of another picture...but don't worry, I won't post it.)

And of course, the girls are endlessly fond of replacing key words of songs with "bum" or "toot" or "burp" or "poo-poo."

And you know, at this point in their lives I don't feel the need to curtail their behavior too much. Obviously there's a time and a place for this kind of joking around. But little kids are so in tune with their bodies and so aware of the processes that go on inside of it that I'd hate to stifle their outlet for figuring it all out through jokes and games and drawings.

So if this is what little girls are like, are little boys ten times more fascinated with poo and burps and toots, as I've been led to believe? Or perhaps has Jeremy been attending too well to his duties of encouraging potty humor in his kids?

8 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

This is actually really fascinating to me. My two older boys (the ones that actually talk) are far more concerned with their genitalia than their poop/pee/etc., and are particularly focused on how on earth women use the bathroom without their specific set of tools. But neither of them is particularly enthralled with toots or burps or poops. And I don't have any idea why, because I *still* have to suppress a giggle when somebody farts.

Jeremy Palmer said...

Oh man. Last night at dinner Trent made some comment that set Majd going off about toots.

I seem to recall a certain video involving the mother of my daughters and a gaseous barbie doll...

Kathy Haynie said...

One of my grandsons (age 4) is particularly enamored with bathroom/body words, especially if they rhyme. His favorite chant is "one bum, two poo, three pee..." and at that point his mom usually sends him to his room. Now his little sister (age 2) has picked it up from him. We were in their home during General Conference, and one of the apostles made a statement that included the word, "unaware." Little sister though it was hilarious that a General Authority would say "underwear" in church! We couldn't convince her that he had said anything else. I think your take on the matter is entirely sensible. And I think your girls are funny.

Glenda The Good said...

We had the neighbors over for dinner last night and after the kids went out to play probably spent the better part of an hour sharing our most embarrassing pee, poop, and nursing stories...so I guess in my house neither sex ever outgrew the fascination :)

Suzanne Bubnash said...

The difference here between boys and girls is that girls grow out of this fascination, and boys never do. Am I right ACW?

Amanda said...

My kids are also much more fascinated with anatomy than physiology. Lillian and Nora will talk for hours about different parts, which ones have hair, what will change in their own bodies when they grow up, and so forth. I'm like you though, I don't want their bodies to be mysterious but I try to let them know that while it's fine to talk about it in the house, or with me or Tyler, it's not for the general population. And, aside from that one time that Lillian asked the neighbor boy if he called his a penis too and also could she see it so she could check to see if it had hair, we've been pretty much free from public discussion on the matter.

Anonymous said...

This post was great. I love Miriam's drawing.

I'm sure when I have kids, I'll hear all sorts of things about bodily functions. This will probably be karmic payback for the dismay I've caused my parents by still laughing about farts at the age of 32.

Hannah

Katie said...

I'm glad I read this post before we see your girls, because now i will know that Alex didn't teach your girls potty humor! :) Maybe it's a Palmer thing because my kids definitely do the same stuff! I'm sure they'll have fun together talking about "toots" while camping!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails