Friday, August 31, 2012

August 31st, outsourced

A lot of travel this week. Not so much internet surfing.

We may never know if Lance Armstrong doped.

Liz Taylor wrote a diet book, and this lady tried it. Hilarious.

An Emirati father of three rescued a newborn baby from a stolen car. Awesome story.

I'm not sure which weird feature of this story to highlight. That its tone and accompanying photo are oddly joyous for what seems to be a severely premature baby? That it doesn't elaborate on the fact that the stewardess "found" the baby in the toilet? That the parents are seriously naming the boy "EK"? Or just that it's a neat baby-born-on-an-airplane story? Take your pick.

If only the parents of little Isabella and Jayden had known about Baby Name Voyager. [HT Jessie]

5 comments:

  1. My favorite quote from that last article: “We were just trying to go for something that was different.”

    Oh dear.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favorite quote, too. Something different FAIL.

      Delete
  2. At least in Isabella's case the parents were giving her that for a good reason--their heritage. Jayden, not so much.

    We should all be as concerned for a stranger as was the Emirati fellow. Yay for a landmark I know, the National Paints bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Baby Name Voyager I now know that "Kathleen" was ranked #15 in the 1950s. No wonder I had 5 other girls named Kathy in one high school class. (Now as a teacher, I have had only one student named "Kathy" in my entire 18-year teaching career, and she was an Asian student - interesting to wonder if her parents were trying to give her an "American" name, but they were a bit behind the trends?)

    Speaking of ethnic backgrounds, one of the things that fascinated me most about the articles about the Emirati-hero-dad and the premature-baby-born-on-Emirati-air-flight was that both articles were so clear about the nationalities of everyone involved. Normal in the Emirates? I assume so. For a reader accustomed to American writing styles, that really sticks out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, interesting observations. I bet you're right about the names. And yes, that is very normal for an Emirates newspaper to be nationality-conscious. Almost everyone here is from somewhere else, so it makes sense to ask, even in a newspaper story!

      Delete

I had to disallow anonymous comments because of all the spam I was getting. Sorry!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails