Saturday, September 29, 2012

Aleppo

I don't even really want to talk about it. That's my way of coping. Just know that this:
is a really horrible thing.

Also horrible - that this place, one of my favorite places in Syria, also seen in these photos of ours from 2004/2005:

now looks like this (image via Hala Gorani's Twitter feed):
The end, UGH.

PS - the Aleppo souq looks/looked like this:
Allow me to be sentimental for a moment and tell you that on the day this photo was taken, I felt Sasha (1.0, aka the baby that was born as Miriam Damascus) move for the first time, right there in the Aleppo souq.

And I guess maybe I do want to talk about it a little. The reason I share these things, these pictures with you is not because I think you won't hear about it anywhere else. I know Syria is all over the news these days. But I want you to know that this is a real place, where real people live, and it's a beautiful place. And what's happening there now is a crying shame.

10 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

That's horrific. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how awful I would feel if I saw pictures like this of my favorite places in Romania or Mexico. It would put my stomach in knots.

I really hope the violence ends SOON. This is one of the most under-reported massacres and wars in modern times, at least in the US.

Myrna said...

Heartbreaking.

Kathy Haynie said...

Your stories about the places you have visited DO make them into real places with real people living real lives. I feel so badly for the families in Syria and all the other places at war. Keep telling the stories. Stories. Really. Do. Matter.

Susanne said...

Seeing these before and after pictures make it more real. Samer had this story on his Facebook when I woke this morning with these words.

"Seems all of our major cities will be wiped out like what happened to Germany after WW2"


My comment to him was, "people are more important than historical sites, but still, I wonder if that would finally move nations to action against the regime? maybe if y'all were whales or eagles or some other creature needing protection."

Thanks for sharing this even though it's so gloomy. Samer told me this morning he was "sick with nostalgia." He can't go home and hasn't seen his family in a couple years now. Lord willing, they will meet in Dubai at Christmas - if they can get visas!

Julia - Finding My Way Softly said...

You do make the conflict real for those of us not there. The other day someone asked me who I knew in Syria, that made me do passionate about it. I thought a moment, and realized the person I "knew" was you. Your writing brings you, and the places and people around you to life. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I was really heartbroken by the news, too. I'll never get used to the idea of places where I have so many fond memories being destroyed.

Hannah

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I have feared for the Aleppo souk and the surrounding historical sites. Even though they're 'only' buildings they paint a rich portrait of the past, and represent the culture and roots of the current population. The destruction of the souk eliminates the livelihood of hundreds, perhaps thousands of Aleppo-ians. It must feel to them that their hearts have been ripped out.

Susanne said...

I love what your mom said.

Also, I just saw this and looked to see if some of your pictures were here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-19777468

sarah said...

Is that the hotel we stayed at??? It makes me so sad, and I only visited the place for a day or two. It was so beautiful and enchanting.

Bridget said...

Yes, it is the hotel you stayed at. :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails