Sunday, September 23, 2012

Relieved

The other night around 8 o'clock I was walking home from class and I heard a disturbing noise. It was dark outside, and I was walking past some shrubbery, and I heard the sound of a man urinating into the bushes, very near me. There are lots of gardeners on campus and I figured it was one of them, taking advantage of the dark and the foliage to do his business. It was unfortunate and extremely awkward that I walked past at that exact moment, even though I couldn't see him (not that I looked for him).

Well, today I was walking TO class at about 5 o'clock and I heard the same disturbing noise! This time, it was daylight, so I took the risk of glancing over in that direction because really, what are the odds of walking in on a guy peeing in public twice within a few days? To my very great relief, I saw the source of the noise - a malfunctioning sprinkler that was sending a small, arched stream of water into a shallow puddle near the bushes. It's so nice to know that I didn't actually walk near a dude peeing. Isn't it?

In other news:

1. Did you know we mostly call Magdalena by the Arabic diminutive of her name, Majd? Well, we do. The other day she was practicing writing it at church and the lady behind us (new to the congregation) later came up to her and told "Maud" that she was doing a great job writing her name. Don't worry, I corrected her...the next week, when she called her "Maud" again. I realize Majd is a difficult and unwieldy nickname for non-Arabic speakers, but Maud is possibly worse.

2. You people have got to stop thinking that white girls all look alike to some degree. In the space of six days, I was told I look like Angelina Jolie (hahahahahahahahaha, thank you, naive Iranian teenager at the beach), Hilary Swank, and Kylie Minogue. The latter two are repeats. I'll take it...I guess? I'll be honest, I'm not too keen on the Hilary Swank one.


16 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Hahahaha - love the post title - it works so well, on so many levels. :)

iremi nisces said...

:) thx for your time.

Take Care.

p.s Have you heard of Hajj Qiraan.

Spencer said...

The nickname dilemma only brings one thing to mind:

"Are you a mod, or a rocker?"
"Um, no. I'm a mocker."

Classic.

Crys said...

We know someone who named her daughter Maude. Madj is cuter in my not so humble opinion!

Susanne said...

I think you need to do a video so we can hear how you say "Majd." Being a non-Arabic speaker, I'm not sure I am saying it right, but I sure as the world (like how I didn't swear there? or is hell an OK word to use. It's not swearing, is it?) am not saying Maud.

Oh, glad you didn't walk so close to a urinating guy after all. I still recall how my friend Samer was utterly repulsed by his Turkish friend doing such a thing a few years ago. I got the feeling that was totally low class in his Arab mind. Is there a cultural taboo of this or do you know?

Liz Johnson said...

I assume you've seen the episode of "The Office" where they spend virtually the entire thing arguing over whether Hilary Swank is hot or not, right?

I have been told by three separate people that I look like Hillary Duff, which isn't my favorite, either. What is it with the Hil(l)arys?!

Sorry to all who are fans, but ugh, Maud is a terrible name. I usually love the older-sounding girl names, but that one is up there with Bertha on the "old names that should stay dead" list.

breanne said...

One of the things that drove me crazy about Jerusalem is that there didn't seem to be a cultural taboo on men relieving themselves in public, even in broad daylight. Is that something that happens often in Sharjah or is it culturally unacceptable?

Bridget said...

Urinating in public...I know that it's done here. I don't know about culturally acceptable. Mostly I see it happening on the side of the highway - guys who've pulled their trucks over or whatever. Considering the number of gardeners on campus, I'm actually surprised this hasn't legitimately happened to me yet.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

We all ugh at Maud, Bertha, Mildred, Thelma, Ethel, etc., but wow, they were popular 100 years ago! Until a recently we also ughed at Ruby, Jocelyn, Josephine, Hazel, Lois, and others from the same era, yet those are making a comeback. Can Maud, Bertha, etc. be far behind?

Craig has an ancestor named Mehitable Tripp. We can be sure that one won't return.

If I knew who Hilary Swank was there would be some context for your comment (for me).

Britney said...

I agree with Susanne. I'd like to hear how you pronounce Majd.

And, I wonder, are you still calling Miriam by the nickname Meme, or is she mostly Miriam?

Kristen said...

I can actually see the resemblance to Hilary Swank and Anjelina Jolie...it's your beautiful full lips!

Shari said...

Oh my, we see people peeing in public all the time here! It wasn't something we were expecting, and it's often a little disturbing. Especially when it's adults.

Bridget said...

Let's see...Majd is pronounced like the "Me" beginning of "Mexican" but with a little more "a" as in "apple" influence to the "e." The j is zh. The d is d. See what I mean about unwieldy?

Shari, I remember that about Russia. There was a spot we used to walk by on the way to the metro that we called "pee corner" because it was so often used for that purpose. And you gotta love the frozen pee streams on the sidewalk during winter...

Bridget said...

She's mostly Miriam now. If anything, it's just "Mem" (pronounced Maim), short for Meme.

Teresa Jane said...

I think that Hilary Swank is pretty! I have only ever seen her in one movie, though (P.S. I Love You)

Bridget said...

That's the movie my student mentioned when she said I looked like Hilary Swank. But it's not a one-off since a few semesters ago a student said I looked like her in Freedom Writers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails