Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Watch this show or you'll lower the IQ of whatever street you're on.

BBC's Sherlock has been on my radar for a few months now, but it wasn't until we were in the US this summer that I got a chance to see Season 1, courtesy of my mom and dad. But it was the most backhanded gift ever, because they didn't have Season 2, and I was already HOOKED. Hmph.

Season 2 is available on Netflix now and Jeremy and I finished watching episode 1 last night. And I can't stop thinking about it! I can't believe how smart this show is, and how hilarious, and brilliant the actors are. I hope the last two episodes of Season 2 don't change my opinion (for the worse).

Are you watching this? If not, WHY? Take a look at these two videos for a sampling of what you're missing. They are from the same scene, just cut in half (for copyright reasons?).




What was missing from that video? It's a trick question, because the answer is nothing. Everything is there: humor, acerbic wit, timing, subtlety (check out Watson's head gesture at 0:15-0:17 in the second clip - speaks volumes, doesn't it?), all wrapped up in a poignant little package that almost brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it.

Be warned: this is definitely a show for adults. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed episode 2.1 even though there was a weird, sexy subplot running through the whole thing.

Now, bring it on: favorite quotes, favorite moments, favorite facial expressions, whatever. All gushing is welcome here.

(In case you're wondering about the post title):

8 comments:

elliespen said...

Oh, man, I love everything about that show. So many good quotes, but my favorite still has to be, "I'm in shock. Look, I've got a blanket."

*insert geeky fangirl ramble here*

B-Rad said...

Not watching since I'm hooked on "Breaking Bad" which I highly recommend you and Jeremy start watching.

Julia - Finding My Way Softly said...

I also love Copper, a new BBC show that is also smart, with some grit.

If you get a few minutes, your kids might enjoy watching the videos in my post today. You are one of the supermoms that the last video is dedicated to!

http://poetrysansonions.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-few-things-i-have-been-watching.htm

Liz Johnson said...

I have had so many people recommend this to me - I'm definitely going to need to check it out. We are FINALLY almost done with "Top Gear."

I freaking love the BBC.

Nancy said...

Love it. We watched it this summer while we were hanging out in the hospital. We need to watch the next season though but Andrew chose being responsible and doing calculus homework over being irresponsible and watching Sherlock. Maybe if I tell him it will raise his IQ...

Jeremy Palmer said...

laterzz!

Anonymous said...

I fell out of love with Sherlock in season 2. In my opinion, it transitioned away from the story of someone who was a genius scientist with great powers of observeration, into some sort of strange, non-plausible super power. Further, these kinds of things work best when after the great reveal, you can look back and see the clues you missed that would be have predicted the ending. In season 2, there weren't really any easter eggs to look back on - no clues for the watcher. For me, that spoiled the appeal and the certain secret ingredient that made the books and previous PBS series so gripping. It was a pity, particularly given the generally high quality acting. --Matthew

AmandaStretch said...

I love this show.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails