Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Khaliji hijab bumps

The ladies here love to exaggerate the shape of their head under the hijab by poofing their hair with gigantic flower clips. The stylist in this series of photographs has a hijab bump. I see bigger ones around campus every day. This is helpful to know so that when you go to a store that sells hair accessories and you see those huge flower clips, you know what they're for. In fact, you will hardly ever see the flower clips themselves out in public, because as far as I know, their main purpose is to be concealed under the hijab. You can see a tutorial for the Gulf (khaliji) hijab style here to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Today we were at The Discounts (some super awesome dollar-store type places in Ajman) looking for UAE National Day swag and I saw some of the biggest flower clips I've ever seen. Magdalena agreed, reluctantly, to model them for me so you can get an idea of their scope.

 I promise you, this is one clip. ONE.

Magdalena is not impressed.

So now you know what's hiding out under those hijab bumps. In case you were wondering.

13 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Is there some kind of connection / commonality between these amazing flower clips (Magdalena is such a trooper) and the "cabbage sized bows" that were mentioned in a comment to your American Mormon Culture post back in August? Seems like there may be a common thread here between Utah Mormon and Sharjah Muslim women...

Jen said...

That. Is. Fascinating.

Shannan Deshazer said...

This is going to sound super ignorant but is this related to Muslim culture? I watched the video and the woman is clearly American, so American Muslim women have to wear 3 head coverings? Wow. I say that because I run so so so hot and it would be a furnace to me. Also, I noticed that when she started the tutorial she was wearing a flower scarf around her neck and then took it off as she draped the black scarf. Is that because you cannot show your neck at all? Thanks for entertaining my questions; I know I could google but I felt I could just ask. By the way, I'm a bit envious of your nanny/housekeeper situation. Boy would I enjoy that!!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

And all this time I thought they had fancy doos under their hijabs.

Glenda The Good said...

Wow, my favorite line was when she said, "so you want it to look effortless." OH my goodness. You know me my hair is effortless. There is no way I could do this, it was amazing how much was going on under there :)

Britney said...

Wow. That thing is huge. And so... interesting.

Is Magdalena cringing in that first picture because she's embarrassed, or is it causing her discomfort? I would think that it's got to be a strain on the scalp or the neck or SOMETHING.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was fascinating. I have to say, I put far less effort into my hair than the girl in the video put into her hijab!

Hannah

Anonymous said...

Nope, rest-assured nothing to do with Muslim culture - just standard female concern (?) over appearance... perhaps because long hair is seen to be beautiful, and this bump gives the impression of long hair.

Bridget said...

That is an interesting thought! These flower clips are WAY huger. Let's not tell Utah moms that they exist, otherwise...

Bridget said...

There are so many different styles of hijab. This is just one style, and it happens to be the one favored by Gulf women. I think the American was just showing one style. It might be the one she usually wears or maybe not. As for the additional scarf, I do think it was to keep her neck from showing.

Don't worry, there are plenty of hijab styles that are one layer - did you see the head cover the girl was wearing before she wrapped the other veils on? You could almost wear that by itself. A lot of women in Syria wear just one tight, stretchy layer like that.

Bridget said...

I know! I used to think wearing the veil would be nice because it would cut down on "getting ready for the day" time, but, NO.

Bridget said...

Hahaha, I wondered, too. It's actually not that heavy but yeah, it probably wears on your scalp after a while.

Susanne said...

Um,wow! Majd (or is it Madj?) is so cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails