Thursday, December 06, 2012

Bridget elsewhere

I've showed up in a few different places recently.

I had a guest post at Poetry Sans Onions - it was a reprint of my American Mormon post from a few months back. Thanks for having me on your blog, Julia!

I had my very first academic publication come out at the very end of November. It was a book review that appeared in TESOL Arabia's Perspectives journal. Even though it's "just" a book review, I'm pretty thrilled. Despite my best efforts, I have not been able to obtain a copy of the issue or even a picture of a copy of an issue (I left my camera at home, then the scanner wasn't working, then I had to give back the copy I borrowed, etc.). Just take my word for it that it's the best book review EVER.

Finally, I was involved in two PR pieces produced by the American University of Sharjah last semester (that's the fun of being a minority here). The first one has yet to see the light of day, but the second one appeared last week. You can find it here (it's a video). A few notes:

1. Yes, it says Bridget Plamer. But the fact that the "typo" is perpetuated in a few places makes me think that they think that's actually my name. The interesting thing is that when Jeremy got his AUS business cards two years ago, they misspelled Palmer the exact same way. Huh.

2. Uh, they told me they would edit it more. We did several takes and I knew I had some weird hesitations in there but I thought they would cobble together a best version. I guess not.

3. HOWEVER: I am so glad they cut out one part. At the end of each take, they had me look at the camera and say something like "Welcome to AUS - see you around!" The impression I got was that they would then do a supercut of each interviewee saying the same thing. I haven't yet seen that supercut but I kind of hope it never comes into existence.

4. I love love love that there is an Awkward Kristin moment going on in the background of my interview at the very beginning. Because yeah, we were filming in a computer lab and there were tons of people there just trying to mind their own business when me and a camera crew barged in.

7 comments:

The Ensign's said...

Okay I'm probably going to regret even commenting, but I just read your post about mormons and who's to say it's not mormon trends? For example if Hollywood actors started wearing big bows in their hair I'm sure that everyone else would too.It may even get all the way to the UAE =). So maybe mormons have their own trends. Don't you think that if those ads you posted were in magazines in the UAE than you'd see those trends there? Doesn't UAE have their own trends? I think here in the US specifically westcoast we look at modest examples of what we could wear and styles to follow. Some of us are not as fashionable as the rest and we rely on those trendsetters. Rather than looking at Hollywood actors and singers as our fashion icons and still be modest we look at other mormons and modest clothing companies, "Downeast", for inspiration. With Utah having so many mormons they tend to be the trendsetters.
I'm not a fan of oversized hair bows or the t-shirt under my tubetops, but I guess I have to say it doesn't bother me to see everyone else wearing them. It's a trend and mormons follow them just as the rest of the world follows their Hollywood trends.

Britney said...

Congrats on the publication!

Liz Johnson said...

Bridget Plamer, you're famous!!! I'm so impressed! You were very poised and professional - you're great PR for the program and university. And it didn't sound awkward at all.

Bridget said...

Well said. I think it's great if those trends are part of Mormon *culture*, but my point is that someone should never feel less a member of The Church of Jesus Christ for not following them.

Your comment makes me wonder if there are Mormon trends in other parts of the world with larger and more homogeneous congregations.

The Ensign's said...

Do you really feel less of a member in the US for not wearing large bows or following the mormon trends? That has never crossed my mind. I'd argue that that isn't true in most cases. I've never felt less of a mormon based on what I wear or how I do my hair. I have however when I've listened to someone's testimony and realized my own is no way near as strong as there's. Or when I'm watching my guilty pleasure tv shows that probably are not inviting the spirit and I know it. I can honestly say never when it's come to outward appearances and I don't think I'm the only one.

Julia - Finding My Way Softly said...

Bridget, I am not sure if you know that I am one of a group of "believing" members who writes for Main Street Plaza. (A lot of the authors are former, inactive or post-LDS who still write on LDS issues.). My blog posts go up on their stream, and then your original post got picked up by another author. Your post on my blog has about 200 hits, and I show about 75 clicks to your blog from my blog, since then.

Anyway, just thought you would like to know that a lot of people from Main Street Plaza ended up finding, and enjoying, your post. I have several emails with questions, from a couple readers. When my laptop is back up, or my legs will cooperate, I will send them off to you. Maybe we can cross-post the answers on both blogs. :-)

Bridget said...

Not necessarily, but I don't think it would be hard for a new member, or a member in an international ward, to feel alienated in that way (see, for example, some of the comments on the original post). It's easy for you and me to pick out what is culture and what is doctrine but to someone for whom this is all new, I think it might be a trickier process.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails