Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas in Sharjah

It's Christmas Eve. Magdalena went to school today. Neither Jeremy nor I teach on Mondays, so we had the day "off" - but we spent the morning finishing up some work so we could enjoy the holiday. We went to spinning class. The songs were Christmas-themed. You think you hate George Michael's "Last Christmas" now? Just wait until your spinning instructor makes you do jumps the whole time.

Tomorrow (Christmas Day) is, thankfully, a holiday for the university. But it's right back to business on Wednesday. Since the holiday is on a Tuesday, it makes for a weird schedule this week. I actually had several students complain that the university didn't move the holiday to Sunday or Thursday for a kind of "Christmas (Observed)" 3-day weekend. I understand the sentiment there, but at the same time, I don't think you can do that with Christmas. I also had a brief pearl-clutching moment in my MA class that meets on Tuesday when a few students volunteered that they would rather come in on the holiday (aka CHRISTMAS) to meet instead of doing a make-up class. Thank goodness, my (Muslim) professor didn't take them up on the offer.

We're heading out soon to a Christmas Eve dinner at a friend's house. Let Christmas begin!

Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Susanne said...

Merry Christmas! Y'all look cute. :)

Liz Johnson said...

Merry Christmas! I'm glad you don't have class that day, too. SERIOUSLY, PEOPLE. If it makes you feel any better, Chris has to work today and the day after, too... this is the only time we miss being students (the long winter break).

It's so weird to see you guys in long sleeves.

Bridget said...

Yeah, I guess I'm looking at this from the point of view of academia, which in much of the world guarantees a long break over the holidays. Oh well. Sorry Chris has to work.

Jen said...

Is it okay that part of me hopes that this picture was taken on a Friday and you wore pants to church? =)

Bridget said...

Mwahahahaha, yes, it was last Friday. I wore a dress today but pants will be in my regular Sabbath rotation from now on. I've always felt like I *could* wear them but it was another step to actually do it. And man, it felt gooooooooood.

Jen said...

{thunderous applause!!!}

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails