Monday, December 03, 2012

Ironwoman

(The NaBloPoMo, it is complete. Thanks to everyone who posted a lot this month. I really enjoyed reading your stuff! Especially my family members' blogs. Steven, please write more next year, thanks.)

Last week I went to the doctor because I had been feeling so tired all the time. I get enough sleep and I eat good food and I exercise, so I was all prepared to not take any crap from the doctor about improving my diet or going to bed earlier or whatever. Something about my body was just off. I thought maybe it was low iron (hemoglobin) since I've been anemic before and it felt like this.

I talked with the doctor and of course the first thing she asked me is if I was pregnant (no). Then she went ahead and had the lab take some blood to test for my iron levels or even thyroid abnormalities.

In the 24 hours between having my blood drawn and getting the results, I hoped fervently that my hemoglobin level would be so fantastically low that it would explain why I've been feeling awful lately. When the clinic told me that the results were normal (12 - at the low end of the acceptable range, which is 12-16), I was so sad. Because that means I can't just take iron pills and feel better.

Well. Also last week, I taught a unit to my students about stress management. Part of the chapter talked about the ways stress can manifest itself in your body, mind, or emotions. As I read through the list with my students, I had a flashback to that scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray realizes he fits a list of characteristics perfectly.


Tired, on edge, prone to illness - so maybe I'm just stressed? On the surface I don't feel stressed but maybe my emotions and body are trying to tell me otherwise. I'll see how I feel after I get over this cold...and after this semester ends. In the meantime, has anyone else just felt tired all the time, even after adequate sleep, food, and exercise? How did you get better?

9 comments:

Amanda Ball said...

Welcome to my life. I really am amazed at how much "normal" people can accomplish because I am exhausted just thinking about what they do. I go to the doctor for it every couple years, and sometimes my iron is low, sometimes it isn't. My thyroid is always fine, so the doctor says something really helpful like... Well, you do have kids, so.

My mom swears by taking b12 supplements, but I never felt like they did much for me.

Bridget said...

So basically you've just learned to deal with it? Ugggghhh I really don't want this to be my new normal.

Liz Johnson said...

I recently had a friend see a doctor about the same type of thing, and they prescribed her extra folic acid, and that did the trick. It could maybe help?

Ariana said...

The last time I felt really truly awful all the time, I ended up having mono.

Anonymous said...

I had a really awful spell last fall and early winter. In my case, it did turn out to be a thyroid abnormality. My doctor and I are still working on tweaking my medication dose, but on the whole, I've felt much better since going on medication.

Hannah

JosephJ said...

I had an extremely tired day yesterday, and again feeling it today. I hope I can blame it on a low pressure system. When not feeling well, it's interesting that we feel compelled to have something to blame for it.

I hope your body picks up some energy soon.

Bridget said...

Thanks, everyone. I felt better today but it might just be because I'm coming off a cold and anything is better than a cold. I'll probably wait until this semester is over and then see if I notice a difference.

Katie said...

My brother has been dealing with this for the past 6 months. At first he started getting migraine headaches, then he couldn't walk. Soon he started having seizures, and slurring his speech. He's only 31. At first they thought it was a brain tumor or brain cyst. Or epilepsy. Anyway...long story short they've been through everything and they had no diagnosis and no treatment that helped. Finally, they talked to a doctor who thinks it's just extreme stress from years and years of stress with no relief (he just finished his doctorate degree). He's been trying everything for stress relief and the best thing he's found is surprisingly yoga and meditation. So, I know it's "New Age" and a little out there, but seriously, meditation works, try it. Good luck! I hope you feel better.

P.S. I LOVE Groundhog Day, and that scene comes to mind all the time.

Elena Saleem said...

I came across this and thought it might be of interest - http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/what-is-adrenal-fatigue

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails