Thursday, January 31, 2013

In the garden

Lucky me - my husband enjoys running a vegetable/herb garden. Most days when I'm cooking dinner, I head out back to grab something fresh to add. There's basil for pesto, oregano for pizza, and rosemary, thyme, mint, and parsley for everything else. We had a bumper crop of cucumbers, totaling one (1) cucumber a few weeks ago. It was delicious. (We're working on improving the yield next time around.) We also have had a few cherry tomatoes and some peppers that aren't as spicy as we thought they would be, but that's probably for the best. My surprise favorite has been rocket - I think it's also called arugula? Whatever you add rocket to, it makes it better. YUM.

We planted a lot more things that didn't work out, like carrots, melons, and eggplant. But the things that worked, worked well - I love having fresh herbs all the time. Now, if only we could find live cilantro/coriander in this place. I use cilantro so much and it's such a shame to have to rely on wilted bunches of it from the grocery store.

Here are a few pictures of our back garden paradise. Pay no attention to the crumpled tent on the grass. We went on an impromptu camping trip last night (40 minutes from decision to departure, woohoo!) and in the morning our tent was soaked with fog.
So when we got home, we put it in the back to remind us to lay it out to dry.

Anyway, the garden. Thanks, Jeremy, for running a tight ship back there! It's not an easy thing to do in this climate.

11 comments:

Crys said...

It looks so nice! A proper garden oasis :). I need to hire Jeremy to landscape my backyard. What a mess! Sometimes less really is more :)

Liz Johnson said...

Gorgeous!!!! I'm so impressed. I'm doing my very first real garden this summer and I get all giddy when I think about it.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Jeremy better look out. AUS might want to hire him as their campus gardener. The yard is a refreshing oasis.

Kitty Crazy! said...

Absolutely beautiful garden, Jeremy! I'm amazed you can do that in your climate and with as busy as you are with school and family. I'm impressed and proud!-MOM

Jennifer said...

Good work Jeremy! It is beautiful!

Liz Johnson said...

(what did you do with your one cucumber??)

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! I'm very impressed. I tried having a patio garden last summer. I successfully grew basil and mint, both of which I enjoyed having around whenever I wanted. I tried growing tomatoes. The plants grew big and beautiful, but yielded very few tomatoes. It was too late when I learned that probably nothing was pollinating the plants, and that I could actually pollinate the flowers myself. I'll have to try again this summer.

Hannah

Bridget said...

Hannah, we think that's what went wrong with our cucumbers. We had a screen wrapped around them to protect them from birds, but maybe it also kept them from being naturally pollinated. This whole garden thing is a lot of trial and error!

Brooke said...

ahh! Ok, we are headed to Muscat in August and I'm DETERMINED to grow our own garden, but I was getting intimidated by trying to figure out growing seasons and what works with the extreme heat. Help!? Maybe you or your husband could shoot me an email when you get a minute? theworldthatweliveinblog(at)gmail(dot)com.

Can you grow everything all year round? Could I start in September? So exciting!

Bridget said...

I hope you love Oman! Jeremy is working on a response to your questions. I'll have him email you if it's really detailed. My layman opinion is that no, you can't grow year-round, and no, you shouldn't start in September. Maybe Oct/Nov-ish.

Shari said...

Wow! I am so impressed with your garden! It's beautiful!! I can't wait to have a garden of fresh veggies someday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails