Tuesday, January 08, 2013

My favorite room in the house

 It's the majlis. That's what we call the room and the floor couch. Majlis.

 It's great for dance parties.

 For napping/watching General Conference.

 For playing bring-all-your-blankets-and-pillows-into-the-majlis.

And for setting up a whole bunch of kids to watch a movie.

Not pictured: working. The majlis is Jeremy's office (the part of the room that's not in any of these pictures is the bookshelf + his desk with his computer). I do almost all my work in the majlis - I just take my laptop from my office and find a comfy spot on the majlis. If I get tired of being in a certain position, I can rearrange the cushions or lie down or sit up or recline to any degree I want. When Jeremy and I are in there together, we can ask each other questions or get research ideas from each other or fight about which Pandora station we're going to listen to. It is a regular work party.

That's my favorite room in the house: the majlis.

6 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

You forgot to mention that it's my bedroom when I'm visiting!

Kathy Haynie said...

Is "maglis" what people in the region call their living rooms, or is that a Walkerism? It looks very comfortable. Is sitting low to the ground difficult to manage if you're wearing a skirt? The space seems much more versatile than my living room with its western furniture.

Kathy Haynie said...

Oops. Typo - "majlis."

Bridget said...

Don't worry, they would call it a maglis in Egypt. :) That is the actual name for this type of couch, and this kind of room. The university even has a majlis - an Arab-style reception/living room. Floor couches are sooooo comfortable and versatile. Since I'm short, I often find that regular couches aren't comfortable because I can only ever perch on them, unless I really sink back and sit. With a floor couch it's more casual and you can make it work no matter how tall you are. Maybe a little trickier with the skirt, though, yeah. Of course, the Gulfies wear kandura and abaya while sitting on them all the time. :)

Jeremy Palmer said...

It is a comfy room.

Jessie said...

I want a majlis!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails