Monday, February 11, 2013

Downton Abbey, 10 February episode - SPOILERS

Spoilers, as usual.



Wow, I was wrong about Bates. Welcome home! That was prompt. I had forgotten that he and Thomas Mr. Barrow were such enemies. Yikes. Now let us never underestimate the value of pie in evidence procedures ever again.

Speaking of Thomas - the poor man. I know the show wants us to think "oh, the poor man," but seriously, THE POOR MAN. O'Brien's joke wasn't so funny after all. And I'm trying to forget Carson's horribly insensitive use of the word "revolting" because I love that man.

Does anyone else think Edith is going to marry that editor someday? Or at least be tempted to?

All that talk of Branson being qualified to run a farm because his grandfather was a shepherd reminded me SO MUCH of "yes, but my father was a piano mover, so..." Maybe Julian Fellowes is not familiar with Groundhog Day.

Edited to add: I just found out that what was two episodes for us was one episode for you. SO. Here are my thoughts on the rest of the episode.


Wasn't it nice to have a cricket match in the background of this episode, keeping things light-hearted? It's been a while since this show had that tone. Gotta love Mosely's interminable musings on cricket technique - admit it, you knew he was going to be terrible in the end, just like I did.

Well well well, Edith has herself her own Mr. Rochester, doesn't she?? Crazy wife in the attic and everything. Did anyone else think that editor was going to tell Edith that his wife was "horrid?" I did, until I remembered that he hadn't heard that conversation with Rose (who kind of drives me crazy, by the way) (even if her headdress(es) are divine).

'It was her ladyship's soap." CRINGE. I had forgiven O'Brien, had you?

Sooooo adorable that Matthew and Mary were seeing the same fertility doctor.

"I am not foul." Well said, Thomas.

7 comments:

Jessie said...

OMG, one of my favorite movie lines of ALL TIME. I think I love you.

Lucia- insert creative nickname said...

I hope there's someone for poor Edith! It was so sad when that guy left her at the alter a few episodes back!
Oh, and by way of update, we have a signed contract and start date of Aug 10th, but I don't think we'll have any idea of where we will be living until we get there.

Crys said...

What is the deal with poor Edith. Good grief it is getting so Bronte. I don't know if I can handle another totally over the top story line for her. I was actually feeling for Tom in this one. Someone was really putting his acting chops to the test...can we say Emmy :) On a serious note though, I honestly think homosexuality was still a crime on the books in England until the 60s but I could be wrong on that.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I find last night's double episode more satisfying than a single 45-minute episode that barely gets going before it's over.

Thomas is getting his reward for what he has dished out. Now O'Brien should get her comeuppance.

The dowager thinks Ethel is a woman of many talents, haha. What if she knew Edith was "seeing" a married man? Even tho Mrs. Crawley bugs sometimes, she is ahead of her time for seeing the potential in Ethel and the other loose women, and for going against the grain of the local aristocracy. She deserves a medal.

Jen said...

My hero of the episode? Mrs. Hughes, when she found Thomas outside and showed him such kindness. I thought Thomas' storyline was EXCRUCIATING and I could barely watch Carson berate him.

Also excruciating? Rose. She sort of fills the role of burned-face-guy-who-may-or-may-not-be-the-heir-of-Downton this season for me...in that she's completely disposable to the main thrust of the story---plot filler, I suppose. (Kind of like horse meat in English lasagne. Gahhhhhhhhhhhh.)

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one having my Mr. Rochester moment....though I'm sort of surprised that Julian Fellowes wrote something so blatantly Bronte. (+1 to Crys, by the way).

Timothy Browning said...

I really like the juxtaposition of the dark and the light of this episode too. They brought O'Brian to such a dark place without giving her much of a reason (that I can remember) for going that far. However, going by how much I heard "I hate O'Brian" on Facebook, I was afraid it was going to end much worse, like suicide. It was probably supposed to be close to that but Mrs. Hughes and Bates pull him back. That was really nice.

I really, really liked the Ethel story line and that the boys adopted mother is such a great character for only showing up a few times and the complicated moral arch that that took.

I also didn't like Rose (We have to remind people that we are in the Jazz Age! Flapper dresses on the girls is not enough!).

elliespen said...

Have finally caught up with Downton, hence the lateness of this comment. But O'Brien messing with Thomas is a direct result of Thomas' meddling when he told Molesley that O'Brien was leaving and Molesley told Cora. You do not mess with O'Brien and her lady, not after the soap incident. O'Brien told Thomas as much afterwards. Something along the lines of "I'm alright but things won't be alright for you someday."

Not that it excuses either of them, but she did have a much stronger reason than just trying to get Alfred promoted.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails