Friday, February 08, 2013

February 8th, outsourced

Shh, baby's sleeping...until her favorite song comes on.

Why do some countries regulate baby names? [HT Jeremy]

The world's best game of tag. Seriously!!!

What foreign language is on this Dickens poster? My guess was pretty close, how about yours?

Carson (from Downton Abbey) had another life, way back when. [HT Jeremy]

This is possibly too niche to be enjoyed by all, but the big news in the (Mormon) Bloggernacle this week was that FMH upset BCC for best (Mormon) blog. A meme war ensued, culminating in this gem.

Here is a hijab tutorial for men ("brothers") who complain that even veiled women are immodest these days, or who have trouble keeping themselves from harassing women.

Richard III's remains have been found.

Mary Ingalls did not go blind from scarlet fever. I repeat, Mary Ingalls did not go blind from scarlet fever. [HT Suzanne]

People of Timbuktu save manuscripts from invaders. Sniff. [HT James]

YOU GUYS (LADIES). Just keep your whole maiden name and put the last name on there without a hyphen. Nobody says you can't have four names. It works for me. [HT Susanne]

The upside of nuclear war?

I hope to find out that this "new" Anne of Green Gables cover is a hoax. [HT Liz]

This is my favorite link in a long time. It's a little complicated to explain, but basically a lady took pictures of herself in an airplane bathroom using props like the toilet seat cover to mimic 15th-century Flemish portraiture. Yeah, just go look. [HT Liz]

7 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I think this is the first time in a long time that Tom Cruise isn't hanging out in your "most popular" sidebar. Weird.

Didn't Nine's sister become partially deaf from meningitis? I admit I'm not surprised that was the cause of blindness, although I feel like my childhood was all one big lie now. And can I just say how miffed I am that the "Little House" books are not available on Kindle?

I cannot decide whether I'm in favor of baby name regulation or not. I really think some names can amount to child abuse. Have I ever told you about the family I knew with four kids? They were: PrinceDavid, PrinceMichael, PrincessDiana, and... Michelle. Not even kidding a little bit.

Re: name-changing... THERE IS NO WIN HERE. I swear, no matter which option you choose, it's a gigantic headache. Not changing is a headache, changing is a headache, hyphenating is a headache. And I know a couple that did the name blending thing. It's a pain for genealogists, but I admit I kinda like the symmetry of it.

I am flying on an airplane in April, and if I can manage it (with a baby), I am totally doing lavatory self-portraits in the Flemish style. I think that might be my very favorite thing EVER. So glad you liked it. :)

Liz Johnson said...

Also - sadly not a hoax. The image is pulled from the product page, but when I go back to my amazon home page, it shows this atrocious image in the recently viewed items bar.

Crys said...

Hijab tutorial for men....Your best outsource EVER! Although bcc vs Fmh also very good :-)

AmandaStretch said...

Since I got married in December, I just started the name change process. In fact, I went to the Social Security office this week. I'm hyphenating in some places and going by the new (his) last name in others until it's all legally official and I can start going by his last name exclusively, with my maiden name taking the place of my previously non-existent middle name. And, one day, I'll successfully recognize my new last name when someone else says it without a double take. I'm 28, so I've had lots of time to be my old last name and establish myself as such in lots of places. Hopefully, me and everyone who knew me before will figure it all out sooner or later.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

That hijab tutorial is priceless! Exactly what the Muslim world needs (and maybe the rest of the world too).

Sometimes I think we need a baby-name law here in the US too. Or at least a monetary penalty if you give your kid a ridiculous made-up name, or mis-spell a traditional name. Then when the kid turns 18, they get the penalty $ and can use it to march down to the courthouse to fix their name.

Lucia- insert creative nickname said...

Oh wow, that game of tag is epic, and inspiring. I think I'll start a game myself.

Timothy Browning said...

That last one is truly great. Looks like a busy week on the internet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails