Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Global Day strikes again

It's Global Day season again, hooray! I love this time of year, and it's a big deal on campus. Magdalena's class has been celebrating Global Day all week, spending time talking about each class member's nationality and native language and giving them a chance to wear their "national costume."

I ask you: what is America's "national costume"? It is SO EASY for most other countries. They all have some cute, all-inclusive folk tradition, or (especially in the Middle East) traditional clothes that are very much still worn on a daily basis. And then there's me, struggling every year for the past three years to come up with something for my kid to wear. Two years ago, Miriam wore a cowboy hat, cowboy boots, and a Western-y twirly skirt. Last year, Magdalena wore red/white/blue striped clothes. This year, thanks to Grandma Palmer being on the ball during the 4th of July last summer, Magdalena will be wearing a shirt that says "I ❤ USA," some jeans, and the cowboy boots that Miriam wore two years ago.

Anyway. Tomorrow is the potluck lunch at her school and everyone is supposed to bring in a traditional food. I struggle with this, too. This year, I'm thinking outside the box, and instead of bringing something that tastes like America, I'm bringing something that looks like it. Namely, fruit pizza with strawberries and blueberries.


I think I've finally conquered Global Day. Just in time for it to be over.

9 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Maybe the current "native costume" is jeans and a tee shirt (optional hoody)? Oh, that's right...that's what she's wearing! Go U.S.!

Jessie said...

There was an SNL skit a few years ago about a new food item: an entire pizza, deep fried, folded into a taco shell, filled with chili, and it went on and on. Sounds like America alright. Maybe next year?

Bridget said...

YES!!! And didn't it come in its own commemorative tote bag?? Love that sketch. Saving that idea for next year for sure. Can you imagine?

Ariana said...

They don't have Old Navys stocked full of US flag tees in the UAE? dang. ;)

Glenda The Good said...

Snuggie!

Shannan Deshazer said...

I'll tell you what's truly American - a good 'ol casserole made with a cream of something soup base. Or Mormon funeral potatoes which are, a casserole after all.

On a different note, did you see that Google reader is being retired? Do you have any ideas on how we can read blogs in one concise place?

Bridget said...

For some reason I feel like I knew this already. Maybe because they're phasing out iGoogle in November? I'm sure someone will come up with something, or that Google with change their mind. We still have a few months with Reader, right??

Ariana said...

P.S. Blueberries are native to North America. So extra points for your treat! :)

Sarah Rose Evans said...

I volunteered to help the PTA plan a "Multicultural Celebration" at Demitri's school, and we totally ran with a "Dress Like Your Flag" theme because I was thinking of Magdalena's costume last year. I'm making posters of kids dressed up in clothes that showcase the colors of various flags. woo hoo Global Day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails