Friday, March 01, 2013

March 1st, outsourced

In goats-sounding-like-people news, we have an introductory video...and then some truly brilliant insertions into Bon Jovi and Justin Bieber. [HT Jen and Jeremy]

So cool! A little girl recreating classic paintings. [HT Jen]

I can't get this article (about babies napping in sub-zero temperatures) out of my head. I go from envy to disbelief back to envy again. [HT Nancy]

The 30 most Portland things ever to have happened in Portland. [HT Suzanne]

OK, stay with me here: somebody put together a video of Downton Abbey singing a One Direction song. [HT Suzanne]

Julian Felllowes explains a little more about that horrible last episode of Season 3. Sigh.

38 maps you never knew you needed. [HT Ashi]

This is a really long article that reads like a train wreck of failed healthcare experiences in America. Lots of things to think about.

Syria in 1940.

If you want to read a whole bunch of visa (like border-crossing visas, not Visa visas) horror stories, The Economist has got you covered (see the comments).

The Economist also has an interesting article about bilingual people/nations and which languages they choose to text in.

Nacho Libre, pedestrian crosswalk edition.

Passersby thwart (attempted) bank robbery in UAE. I can't decide which is my favorite part - that the robbers threw stones at the bank employees as they made their escape, or that two civilians chased them down via car at 200 kph.

7 comments:

  1. About babies napping in sub-zero temperatures...I live in Estonia and here too it is normal for babies to sleep outside even during winter time. The funny part is that till now I had never even thought it might seem weird for other people. Refreshing to read that normal is not the same everywhere and some might find this custom worth to write about in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think that is so neat! And a little bit crazy. But mostly neat. I love Estonia, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portland needs a battalion of those Lucha Libre guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maps: AWESOME. THAT IS SO COOL. I had never considered that we could fit the entire world's population inside the US with relatively reasonable population density. Holy crap. Also - I would live in "Michiana," which is already what people call the little section of Northern Indiana/SW Michigan that I live in. HA! One step ahead of you, world!

    The Lucha Libre piece gave me immense joy, as you can probably imagine. Sigh. It's so nice to see Mexico City in the news for something positive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great links this time. I love Outsourced!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister is having a baby in July and she is buying two sets of strollers so she can have one in the balcony just for napping. The nap stroller will be an old one so dont think that she is wasteful, but just shows how much it is part of the life in Finland. My friends say that babies nap way longer in the cold weather than they do inside...

    ReplyDelete

I had to disallow anonymous comments because of all the spam I was getting. Sorry!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails