Friday, April 19, 2013

April 19th, outsourced

On Tuesday morning in class, I asked my students who they thought America thought carried out the Boston bombings. Their answers: "for sure they thought it was someone Saudi, Syrian, or Iranian."

Peter Sagal at the Boston Marathon, five minutes ahead of the bomb.

The story behind (and leading out of) one of the most striking pictures of one of the bomb victims.

The first SAT tested students using a fake language. TELL ME MORE.

Too bad I totally still remember: what nobody remembers about new motherhood.

This is my new favorite idea: invite international choirs to sing in General Conference. Huzzah!

17 Pinterest FAILS. [HT Andrew]

The surprisingly serious quest to make muggle quidditch a real sport.

Once upon a time in Pyongyang - photos of North Korea before the Kim family took over. These are really amazing.

Gabrielle Giffords on the gun lobby's grip on the Senate.

Guess what? The law school jobs crisis is even worse than you think. [HT Liz]

So cool: wringing a washcloth out in space.

Dating for moms. So true. [HT Crys]

I don't know why this clip from Jurassic Park is so funny. I only know that it is. [HT Eric D. Snider]

Have you all seen the Dove Real Beauty ad thing? Well, watch it. Then read this rebuttal (which I happen to agree with). Then watch this to laugh at it all.

8 comments:

Ariana said...

I figured the bombing was committed by some mentally ill person(s), since that seems to be a trend lately.

Bridget said...

The latest news I've seen is that it was two Chechen guys. Who may also be mentally ill, I guess, but there is very little information available right now.

Hannah said...

I actually read about the Dove Real Beauty ad earlier today and decided I should try to find it. You saved me the trouble of searching for it myself. :) I though the ad made an interesting point, but ultimately, I agreed with the rebuttal. I don't want to make any sweeping generalizations, but I would say that out of my circle of friends and acquaintances, the women (even those who describe themselves as low maintenance) seem to spend much more time worrying about their physical appearances than the men do. I find it pretty disturbing when I think about it.

Oh, and I loved the video with the men being sketched!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

The Pinterest fails bolstered my determination not to bother trying to imitate anything on there. Mine would turn out like the fails. I laughed all the way through those pictures.

Hey, I just saw a headline that the second bombing suspect is in custody. I kinda assumed he would go out in a blaze of gunfire.

Susanne said...

All I've had time for is the Pinterest fails. THANK YOU! I really needed the laugh after this sad evening. I can't decide my favorite. Maybe the crayons or wreath.

Kitty Crazy! said...

I knew the Quidditch world cup was coming up! How funny would it be to actually watch a live game?! -sarah

Liz Johnson said...

Did you get a chance to watch the manhunt/capture of the guy like everybody in the US did on primetime TV? Totally crazy.

That artificial language thing sounds like something they'd put on the LSAT, just for fun.

The Pinterest fails is exactly why I only pin things on Pinterest. I never actually try them. I am successful if I stick to pinning.

And that dating for moms thing? SO TRUE. SO SO TRUE. I laughed out loud so hard. I love how she mentioned that she does something semi-creepy on first base, because SO DO I. I always am incredibly sarcastic and maybe even a wee bit bombastic on first base dates, and I don't even mean to be - I think it's a defense mechanism. But it's true. And it scares a lot of people (HAHAHA). And I can count my true-blue fourth-base moms on my hands. The ones who don't care (or even give me a high-five) when my kids eat ketchup for lunch. YES. IT'S SO GOOD TO FIND MY PEOPLE.

Liz Johnson said...

Also - the gun control thing? Makes me want to vomit. I can't believe this country sometimes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails