Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Earthquake

Today/yesterday had a lot going on. Far away from us, there were the bombings in Boston and a missing girl in Utah. Not fun to wake up to. I hope the injured and affected in Boston can heal, and that Charice is found safely, soon.

Closer to home, we experienced an earthquake today. I had just arrived home from work and I was sitting in the playroom with Magdalena. All of a sudden, I felt really dizzy, which is something that actually happens to me sometimes, so I didn't think much of it. But then I realized I felt so dizzy that the ground was moving under me...and also the lamp was shaking. And Magdalena was looking at me as if to ask, "what is going on, mama?!?" After the shaking subsided, I told her that I thought it was an earthquake, and then we ran upstairs to my computer to check.

Facebook took about five seconds to light up with "did you feel that??" status updates from friends in the UAE. But it took a good 15 minutes (hahahahaha, how spoiled we are these days) for any news about the earthquake to hit official sites. I was hoping it was a small earthquake nearby, and not a huge earthquake far away. Unfortunately, it was the latter.

Did you ever experience an earthquake as a kid? I did, a few times, and it was SO exciting. Miriam got home and was so disappointed that she hadn't felt it, since she had been on the school bus at the time. It was all she could talk about all afternoon. I remember that feeling. As a kid, you're not fully aware of the possible dangers to yourself and others from things like earthquakes, so it's more of an adventure.

Today was a good chance to talk to our kids about earthquake safety. Apparently, the new advice is to go outside? Many buildings on campus were evacuated and everyone just stood outside in the 100+ heat. When I was a kid, I remember learning to stand in the archway of a doorway. Like lightning safety, this is something I need to brush up on.

7 comments:

Jessie said...

They found Charice! Details are still hazy but it sounds like maybe she was a runaway? Or just not thinking clearly about how her unexplained absence would impact her family and community? So glad she's safe.

I've experienced one notable earthquake, in Alaska, and it was pretty intense. Things on the wall came down and my sister fell out of her chair. It sounded like a train was passing right by the house and I remember feeling disoriented for several minutes afterward.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Unfortunately when earthquakes happen in less developed areas of the world, people suffer to a greater degree.

The first earthquake you ever felt but may not remember was when you were 2, sitting in the bathtub, and a 7.0 hit that was centered up in the mountains a hundred miles away. I was able to run in to shut off the bath water, then hold on to the wall for dear life while we rolled with the earth.

As for what to do when a quake hits, it's a function of where you are at the moment. If a quake is large enough you are going to have to protect yourself right where you are--you won't be able to navigate to a safer place (my personal experience). Running outside if you can is a reasonable idea, as long as you aren't in a tall building where sheets of glass are shattering onto the sidewalk.

Kathy Haynie said...

The girl in Provo has been found.

Susanne said...

I felt one last year that happened in Virginia. Like you, Facebook lit up with the news fast. It was the first one I remember.

Ariana said...

My son checks this website many many times a day...hey gets super excited if he sees a red dot (which means an earthquake happened in the last hour). It updates like every minute. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

Liz Johnson said...

We felt them a lot in Mexico, but strangely, the strongest one I felt was in Indiana of all places. It sounded like a semi-truck was heading straight for my house, and my windows and bookshelves shook like crazy. Apparently it was centered in Eastern Illinois, which is totally weird.

In Mexico, we were always told to get under our desks and hold onto the legs of the desk so that our protection didn't bounce away. We weren't supposed to go outside, although it seems like a reasonable thing to do - aren't there always gas leaks and stuff right after an earthquake? I'd rather be outside with glass falling on my head than trapped under a desk in a pile of rubble.

AmandaStretch said...

I've felt the last two that happened in the DC area. The first one I literally just felt the a seismic wave under my feet and that was it. The second was a little more intense, but not bad, though I did get in a doorway. This XKCD is applicable. :) http://xkcd.com/723/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails