Friday, June 28, 2013

June 28th, outsourced

I don't know about you, but honestly, my first thought after watching that suddenly ubiquitous "Evolution of the Swimsuit" video was, "wow, that was a great advertisement for this woman's swimsuit design business!" Look, I happen to like the take-away quote, "modesty is not about covering up our bodies because they're bad. It's about revealing our dignity." But there are so many problems with this video, not the least of which is misinterpreting that Princeton research study. Read more here and here. [HT Jessie on the second link]

Here in the UAE there has been a lot of talk about a SARS-like novel coronavirus making the rounds in the region. In Saudi Arabia, the virus is affecting more men than women. Why?

Ooooh, more awesome National Geographic photo contest entrants!

The UAE is one of the hardest places in the world to gain citizenship. On the other hand, if you're lucky enough to just plain be born there, the US is one of the easiest places to gain citizenship. Take The Atlantic's citizenship quiz and see if you measure up to what you have (assuming what you have is US citizenship). My score was 38. Dang Supreme Court Justices.

Foreign Policy's annual Postcards from Hell gallery.

Tipping should be eliminated. I agree. [HT Andrew]

Two teen-aged residents of the UAE are to be deported because they were caught kissing.

A kid from Gaza won the most recent Arab Idol. This is a Big Deal.

Speaking of: do you want to see a bunch of young, talented Arabs (including the above-mentioned Arab Idol winner) singing songs from Les Mis? I thought so. Overproduced and cheesy? Yes. Stirring nonetheless? Absolutely.

15 comments:

Amanda Ball said...

Score: 56! Citizenship gained with distinction!

Bridget said...

That is impressive!! Do you have SCOTUS flashcards or something?? I felt like that part was biased because some of us don't consume news in a visual format.

Jason said...

I missed distinction by two points...what can I say :) Is this Arab Plauge thing real? Because I have heard nothing about it here but as a bio girl, the facts in that article are horrifying. Imagine this thing spreading...via all the visits for Ramadan around the world within two months. 60% death rate...not good, high contagious in hospitals...hmm, very frightening. I love those National Geographic pictures...my favorite caption though was the Joshua tree one, "And then he said, lets take a picture jumping on that rock naked." The kissing teen resident story was crazy....but let's be honest shouldn't that story be, "Two teenage residents are being deported for making out half naked." I'm just saying....there is kissing, and then there is KISSING!

Jason said...

Haha...this is not Jason, Crys just to lazy to sign Jason out.

Liz Johnson said...

DANGIT. I got 48 points. I totally knew all the SCOTUS ones, but the last matching thing was tricky for me.

Lyse said...

51 points, and I got all the little history ones right. I'VE NEVER BEEN SO PROUD OF MYSELF. NPR pays off my friends.

Bridget said...

Well now I'm thinking my score was abnormally low! I got almost all the questions right, so what the heck? I missed a few of the lesser (sorry) SCOTUS justices but the quotes and finer points of civic life were all right. Maybe not voting in that last election brought me way down.

Crys said...

You had to know that election thing was going to bite you eventually ;)

Jen said...

56! Distinction! I'd like to thank WWDTM for interviewing Stephen Breyer that one time and getting me interested in SCOTUS all those years ago. (Do you read SCOTUS-blog? I quite like it.)

Lisa Lou said...

Yiiiiiiikes. 34. Guess I better brush up on.... everything. :(

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I got 49 and that's just plain luck. The Supreme Court Justices? We pay attention to what they decide but who ever sees their faces, except for John Roberts's?? Or is it because I don't watch TV news when they really are 'out there??'

breanne said...

Is that a real citizenship exam, or just one that the Atlantic made up? I'm just wondering how in the world non-citizens can participate in local government before they are citizens? Or vote, for that matter? I'm guessing that this is a citizenship test meant for citizens (like their suggestion at the beginning of the article about people born in the US having to take a citizenship test). I can't say that I agree with all of their questions, though--how does being involved in a peaceful protest make you more American? Or knowing what the Supreme Court justices look like?

It was still a fun test to take, though!

Bridget said...

Yeah, I think the test was like a "you want citizenship to be earned? Go ahead, see if you've earned it" kind of thing.

Susanne said...

I got 46 points despite getting every question right except 2 quotes. But I would have gotten 5 more points if I voted in every year of the last ten. ONLY I only have something to vote for every other year (Congresspeople and state/local elections) where I live. Should have lied to make my score 51!

Bridget said...

OK, so maybe it WAS the voting that brought my score down. We are non-resident residents so the only elections I ever vote in are national ones...except this last one. Now I feel better!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails