Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Three loves

Apropos of nothing, here are some things that I just love.

Speedo swimsuits. Never in my kids' lives has any swimsuit made it through one child's use and still been in a condition to be handed down to the next (or someone else). I submit Exhibit A on this subject, here. However, when we were in the US last summer, I picked up Speedo swimsuits for the girls at Costco and they are still going strong, almost a year later. They're not faded or stretched or pilled or filled with sand in between the layers from playing hard at the beach. These swimsuits have lasted through wadi water, Gulf water, sprinkler water, swimming pool water, and school swimming lessons where they spend the better part of the day balled up, soaking wet with chlorine water, inside of a plastic bag. And they still look fantastic. Plus, I think they were maybe $12 at Costco? Amazing.

I am not a big makeup girl, so take this "love" with a grain of salt, meaning I've tried very few products out there so it's possible this is nothing special. However, of the lip-color products I've tried (including, um, tinted chapstick, some lip gloss from H&M, some lip gloss from Victoria's Secret, and a lip stain from...Cover Girl? Maybe?), this one is THE BEST:
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain (whew! How is that for a product name??). As a teacher, I need a lip color that will not wear off even after hours of teaching. When I am in front of a class, I need to know FOR SURE that my lips don't have weird streaks of color wearing off and my teeth don't have lipstick on them. Also, I need to not have to re-apply between classes. As myself (Bridget), I need a lip color that does all of the above and is not so sticky or gooey that it catches my long hair if I turn my head too fast or if, heaven forbid, I go outside and it is windy. Plus, the color can't be too dramatic. I have never worn real lipstick in my whole life because it's just too much for me. Basically, I just want my lips' natural color to be enhanced in a low-maintenance way. These lip balm/stains/whatever they are are PERFECT. I once put some of this stuff on before a 15-hour flight from Seattle to Dubai. When I got off the plane, after sleeping, eating, caring for kids, and surviving being crammed into a small space for so long, it still looked almost flawless. Needless to say, it holds up to teaching pretty well, too.

The Face Shop. Do you guys have this in the US? When I first saw this store at our local Matajer, I took note of the funny name and didn't give another thought to it. Then Jeremy gave me a gift box from there and I loved every. single. product. that was included in it. So much. Again, I'm not a big makeup girl but The Face Shop is heavy on skin care, too, so they have lots of nice, normal products that anyone can use. Because I don't know about you, but Sephora is so overwhelming to me. I hear everyone rave about it but when I go in there I don't even know who I am anymore. The selection is so extensive (and exPensive) and just generally out of my league. The Face Shop, at least the one by us, is about the size of my living room and everything is clearly labeled (but sometimes only in Korean, oops).

Plus, don't you want your skin to look like his??

What do you love these days?

15 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I love mulch. I realize that's weird, but man, I majorly love spreading that stuff all over my garden beds. It just makes everything look so lovely.

I also love Diet Coke. I have been craving one for like two weeks, and I have every intention of cashing in on it today when I take my kids to the park. Ahhhh.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I'm in love with my compost pile. It makes something useful from something unuseful (banana peels, etc.) all by itself. It has life.

Also my sewing machine. It also makes something useful from something less useful (plain ol' fabric), yet it needs a little help from me so I can feel useful.

Kathy Haynie said...

I love my 30-year-old backpack. I loaded it up and took it to Mutual tonight to get the girls revved up for our high adventure hike in August. Maybe someday I'll get a new pack, but for now, this one is still serviceable and we have been on so many good adventures together.

I love warm sunny days in early June in Oregon.

Kathy Haynie said...

PS - as in a backpack to take on backpacking hikes. Not for carrying books to school, for example. Mine is a vintage purple Jansport. Such a faithful friend.

Liz Johnson said...

I thought of something else! Claire's swimsuit. I had no intention of buying a baby girl swimsuit (since she'll outgrow it five minutes after putting it on), but then freaking Target had the cutest swimsuits EVER, so I got one. And now I take it out and stare at it because it's so stinking cute. I want one just like it. Sigh.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Also my bicycle. Craig wants to buy me a new one but I refuse to replace my loyal friend.

Yay for Kathy using the same backpack for 30 years! I get that.

Crys said...

I love my mountain buggy stroller because I've sat all four kids on that thing and still been able to push. My Tom shoes because even though I know they will wear out to soon my feet never sweat in them. Hello sock less! False eyelashes because I'm vain and God left me wanting. And my bike because it is perfection. Red! A cruiser but with gears and an old lady double padded seat that is like a pillow :). And spell check because I can't spell worth beans!

Kathy Haynie said...

PPS - Treated myself to a new lipstick yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation!

Alyson Poundstone said...

I tried Revlon Kissable Bitten blah blah blah and I LOVE it!! Thanks! I just don't think I like the shade I picked. Which do you use? Since we have similar makeup usage, what mascara do you use? I keep switching and not finding one I like.

Bridget said...

Mass-reply comment: Target DOES have the cutest swimsuits ever. Miss those. I love a good bike, too. Kathy, I hope you like it!

Alyson, I have two: one is Smitten color that I bought first and didn't think I liked. But once I got braver and more used to wearing lip color, I found I liked it a lot. The tamer, more natural shade for me is Crush. I plan to pick up more when I'm in the US because these awesome products tend to get discontinued suddenly. :(

I don't have "a" mascara. I just get whatever and I've never loved any of them. Currently I have Face Shop's plain black waterproof mascara and it's fine, I guess? It was only 25 dhs so maybe I do love it. :)

Kitty Crazy! said...

I love Sephora but do agree it's a little overwhelming. Heather and I have to have at least a few hours to look around when we go.

One of my loves is goat soap and other goat products. They are made with goats milk and all natural. I have very sensitive skin and goat soap is the only thing I can shave with unless I want really itchy and red legs.
-sarah

Liz Johnson said...

Oh hi, I'm back. Just wanted to let you know the new thing I love - THE BOKASHI THAT JUST CAME FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!! I am so excited. :D

Jessie said...

I picked up two colors yesterday (they were buy 1 get 1 half off) and I'm OBSESSED. Thanks for the recommendation!

Bridget said...

Awesome! I'm so glad! Is this the hot pink lipstick you mentioned wearing to the office a while ago? The color Smitten is kind of hot pink (it's one of the two I have)...and I kind of love it. I get lots of compliments on it, which is kind of weird when you consider that it's lipstick, for crying out loud. Ah, I love them so much.

elliespen said...

Incidentally, this post changed my life a little bit. I've never found any kind of lipstick product I really liked—until now. Thanks so much for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails