Friday, July 26, 2013

July 26th, outsourced

Sorry if anyone's Friday morning internet browsing binge habit has been disrupted by my change in time zone. I realize this is going up much later than when I posted it from the UAE!

Beards made out of bees. You read that correctly. [HT Suzanne]

Here's a lovely video about Dubai (in support of their World Expo 2020 bid) that highlights some truly awesome things about the UAE. [HT Sana]

In case you ever need a handy reference guide: every meal consumed in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy. Food heaven.

If you find a way to get around the paywall and read this, please do: fifteen years after autism panic, a plague of measles erupts.

Forensic linguistics, doing its job, outing JK Rowling as the author of a new mystery novel.

First they award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar...then they seriously consider holding it in winter. And the football world goes CRAZY.

2013: the year that PG-13 broke. (Brief language warning in the context of discussing movie rating standards.) [HT Eric D. Snider]

In honor of my brother Steven, who just got a job at a Chipotle in NYC and is thus entitled to one free meal a day: there are 655,360 different burrito combinations possible at Chipotle.

LIBRARIES. [HT Suzanne]

In Royal Baby odds and ends: Project Normal Child, a brief history of royal childhoods, and the significance of Kate's new-mommy tummy. I have to say, as trivial as it may seem, I loved that last one. I am sorry that she couldn't leave the hospital in privacy, in sweats, but the fact that she wasn't afraid to show the world that hey, immediately after you have a baby, guess what? You still totally look pregnant. Bravo, Kate.

A day in the life of the target-market female. Hilarious. [HT Liz]

3 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

The vaccination/autism article can be found for free at:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=253659

A powerful quote from that article:

"Despite the fact that it's one of the greatest health measures ever invented by man or woman, there seems to still be a small residue of humanity that objects to the very idea of immunization," says Dai Lloyd, a doctor in Wales who treated many of the recent measles cases. "If you go around the cemetery you can see the historical evidence of childhood slaughter from pre-immunization days."

Yeah, childhood slaughter. I do historical research and have seen records where scores, if not hundreds, of children and even adults, died from diseases on which we don't waste a second thought.

I personally cared for a baby dying of whooping cough back about 1980 (too young for immunization) and my own grandma described the suffocation death of her 1 year old (1918), from diphtheria. A friend of mine drowned because his polio-withered arm couldn't save him from the waves. No thanks, I vote for immunizations.

Jen said...

Hooray for Kate and her post-baby bump! I don't have a TON of cultural context to back this up, but I would go out on a limb to say that this also says a lot about birth culture in Britain. (Because making broad generalizations about entire countries is super easy based on a single, grossly-outlying data point.)

Kate was clearly "overdue," yet she didn't schedule a c-section (unless you can carry your baby out of the hospital in heels and have your hair/make-up done prior-to)... I guess it just makes me wonder if (and hope that) she waited to go into labor on her own.

That said, if it were me, there is no way under heaven that I'd be able to gracefully carry my baby 24 hours postpartum. I don't think I was even spending lots of time fully upright in BED at that point. Watching her descend those stairs made me wince a little bit.

Liz Johnson said...

Those libraries made me gasp. SO BEAUTIFUL. One of my dream home-improvement projects is to line one of my rooms (where I currently have the computer and piano) with floor-to-ceiling, built-in bookshelves. And now I yearn. OH HOW I YEARN.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails