Monday, August 05, 2013

Road Trip, Part We Will Never Be Done Driving

I love me a good road trip, but I'm getting tired of long hours of driving through the beautiful landscapes of western America. And I consider us lucky that our parents are split between Oregon and Idaho, and not, say, Oregon and Maine.

Still, it means a lot of driving. At the end of the day yesterday, we got to our stopping point for the night (en route from IF to central Oregon). I was very much looking forward to showering off the hours in the car and changing into some clean undies and comfy pajamas. It was going to be a fresh end for the day.

Well, then I fumbled my clean undies and pajamas on the way into the bathroom and - wait for it - dropped them in the toilet. And the toilet had some unflushed kid pee in it (grr). How does that even happen? I may have let out a wail that was completely disproportional to what had happened, but I had been looking forward to those pajamas SO MUCH. Jeremy kept asking me how I managed to drop them exactly in the toilet. I don't really know. It just happened.

This leg of the road trip comes to an end later today. Hooray!

11 comments:

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Well if one of us lived in Maine you would get to fly. You could fly anyway between PDX & IF, IF it was affordable! Last time I checked it was over $500. Heck, you could buy a crap car for that, take the whole fam, then junk it when you get there (the car, not the fam).

Liz Johnson said...

THAT IS HORRIBLE. I would've let out a similar wail. That's just not even ok. What the heck, universe?!

Yvonne Anderson said...

Oh man did I get a good laugh this morning.....Thank you for the entertainment

Kathy Haynie said...

Ah, yes...First World problems...hope today is better! :)

elliespen said...

Having just completed a round-trip road trip from Provo to LA, I soooo feel you on this one. Good luck with the rest of the driving.

(And I wouldn't have necessarily classified "angst after having accidentally gotten child's urine on your clothes" as a strictly first-world problem. Pretty sure the third-worlders don't love that, either.)

Shannan Deshazer said...

I'm laughing because as I read this post, I'm in the middle of Nebraska. We're moving from Oregon to Green Bay Wisconsin and it takes four days of driving. Talk about epic road trip. Four kids, two retriever dogs in one white minivan

Nancy said...

Stifling laughter because that's not funny. But I can totally see myself doing something like that and, also, wailing. So sorry about your jammies. :/

Also, c'mon kids! Flush the dang toilet! We are having serious issues with that at our house now that Benjamin knows about the water we just keep sitting out in the bathroom all the time.

Crys said...

I love those total "irrational" freak outs, that really are "rational". I mean for crying out loud you are almost eight months pregnant. Clean pjs sounded really nice :)

JosephJ said...

There are worse things than having family in Maine, Bridget.

Bridget said...

I thought of you guys when I wrote that. :)

Melody said...

I laughed a little because it reminded me of the time that I was 8 months pregnant, and Cameron found me in front of an open fridge crying. He said, "What's wrong, honey?" To which I responded "I'm hungry but I don't know what to eat!" We both got a good laugh out of it later, but really, those hormones can make little problems into huge ones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails