Sunday, September 08, 2013

No-sew baby wrap success!

Last week, I took the girls with me to the tailor district of Sharjah to pick out some fabric for a no-sew baby wrap. I used a sling with my first two babies, but, like most of my other baby gear, it has long since been given away (a post about the kindness of my neighbors in donating baby gear is forthcoming). I was excited to see Birth Faith's post about a no-sew baby wrap, and I figured I'd be able to score some cheap fabric around here, no problem.

I was right. Not only did the girls and I have a blast exploring the fabric stores, we found some nice, serviceable, blue stretchy cotton to use for the wrap. I got four yards (it was interesting to find out that the fabric stores here still deal in yards, not meters) for 80dhs, which is a little over $20. For that price and amount of fabric, I made two wraps.

I had help, of course.

My big belly prevented me from trying the wrap out myself, but Magdalena was a willing model. Obviously the real baby will sit a little lower, but this was the best we could do with a hard plastic doll.

I'm so excited to try out the wrap for real in a few weeks, and I'm thrilled to have made something myself that would have cost much, much more to buy. Also, a trip to the tailor district is always a pleasure. Really! The girls each have a few bolts of fabric in mind to make something out of, once we figure out what that "something" is. I can't wait to find out.

8 comments:

mle said...

Nice work Bridget! Cant wait to see your little man all wrapped up in it.

Glenda The Good said...

Good job! Man I love jersey knit. When cheetah was born I was able to make three wraps out of the fabric I picked for her although I did sew a middle piece on for added cuteness. I gave one to my sister, gave one to a friend, and kept one for myself. I've watched the one I gave to a friend circle through several people in our group, and now she's claimed it back because she's have another baby. It always makes me happy to see it. The feeling "I made that," is grand!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

The photo of Majd with her favorite fabric and all the other colorful bolts in the background, is one of my favorite pictures of her.

Kathy Haynie said...

High five!

Rob and Sara said...

I remember you wearing Miriam during Primary back in Campbell ward. Hard to believe how much she has grown up since then!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Do you have access to a sewing machine? It would be fun for Majd if you made a simple small purse for her with her favorite fabric. It could have a strap made of black or red webbing that would go over her head and angle across her chest.

Katie Lewis said...

Man, this post made me so unexpectedly happy. I think because I didn't know that you love fabric, which just makes me love you more.

Also, come November, I happen to know of a great new sewing book you could use for inspiration for your future projects. Heh heh...

Bridget said...

That's so funny you remember that. Yes, I don't think she would fit very well in the sling now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails