Friday, September 06, 2013

September 6th, outsourced

Here's a close look at one of the adoptions gone wrong between Russia and the US.

The Gulf explained in 20 maps. So cool! [HT Jeremy]

Incredible tourist sites, trapped in countries that are almost un-visitable by tourists.

The trouble with bright girls. [HT Bryce]

Downton Abbey Season 4 trailer!!!!!!!!

Can you guess the language, based only on a spoken sample? Fun game. I got 600 my first (and only) time. I thought Dari was Kurdish. Silly me! [HT Andrew]

That same dialect survey from years ago has popped up in a new fun form - a quiz to see where your dialect is from. My origin is Washington/Oregon (see map, above). Seems legit. [HT Andrew]

The effect of the unrest in Egypt on Americans trying to study abroad there. I know there are bigger issues going on, but you have to feel for these students who have to make other plans, very suddenly. [HT Andrew]

Poll: the majority of Americans are in favor of sending Congress to Syria. From The Onion, of course. [HT Elisa]

Why are you not dead yet? I think I would actually still be alive (mom, correct me if I'm wrong), but Miriam is not dead yet because during a severe bout of Norovirus she was able to go to a hospital and get hooked up to an IV for a week when her body would not accept fluids. [HT Jessie]

8 comments:

  1. I read the article on bright girls and concluded that I wasn't a bright girl. I have a longstanding belief that A is for "effort." Although I was never called up to be in the accelerated classes in elementary or middle school, I learned how to work hard. In college I outperformed the high performers from my high school . . . and maybe that was partly because I was still peeved at not being called up to the accelerated classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up with Yemen being left off most of those Gulf maps? Is it not considered a Gulf state? Or is it just not terribly forthcoming with demographic info?

    International adoption is so complicated. I have heard a lot of horrible stories, and a lot of wonderful stories. I have so many mixed feelings on it.

    I am concerned by how west-coast my language apparently is. One of my "least common" cities was Allentown, PA - which is where a huge chunk of my extended family hails from. FAIL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered about the Yemen thing, too. I think it's probably related to the member countries of the GCC (which does not include Yemen).

      Delete
  3. I got a 600 on that quiz....my downfall was not being able to tell the difference between Latvian and Slovenian. Oops. But fun! Joe's gonna love it.

    And MY map had a bright red area centered over northeastern New England. So....good. (Though, I wonder if it's skewed that way because I call a water fountain a "bubbler." Some of those language variations are SOOOOO region-specific!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dialect map was fun. The odd thing for me was that my bright red area was in New England, where I have never lived. I think my results could be skewed from living in several different states and from having both parents from states other than the one I grew up in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My language map was pretty right on...dark red blob over Minneapolis. Youbetcha! :) We lived there till I was 17.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that dialect map. It guessed I'm from Reno, NV (I spent the largest chunk of my life in a little town 45 minutes south of Reno. Crazy!) Jon is from a Mormon town in southern Alberta, and it put him in northern Montana and all of Utah. What's fascinating is that only a couple of our answers were different from each other, yet it still placed us perfectly on our respective maps.

    I thought my answers would be skewed because I'm an Army brat, which makes me really wonder about the development of our language patterns. I lived in NV from 12-18 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why aren't we dead yet? I have read that TB is the single most prolific killer in history, and plenty of our ancestors died of it; just the recent ones are: Bridget Doyle (age 41)/Matthew Ashe (age 53)/Paul Bubnash (age 29), and certainly plenty of their siblings. My Grandpa Ashe had TB in his younger years. Because it's treatable, we've been spared its devastation.

    You had a tough time with respiratory from babyhood on. I don't know if it would have killed you in times past, but it probably would have limited your life.

    I had annual bouts with bronchitis and sometimes pneumonia until I was a teenager; those might have been fatal at an earlier time. When people complain how tough life is now, I just laugh. They have no idea what it would be to have half or more of your children die before age 5, or to be widowed 3 or 4 times, or be crippled by crude medical care.

    ReplyDelete

I had to disallow anonymous comments because of all the spam I was getting. Sorry!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails