Monday, October 07, 2013

First public outing

Sterling and I made our first public outing on Thursday, five days post-partum. It wasn't entirely by choice - graduation gown fittings were only being held last week so I waited until the last day and then went. Nothing like going out in public and being measured five days after giving birth! (Fortunately, it was really only a vertical measurement so nothing much should change by graduation in a few months.)

As we walked on campus, I found myself oddly grateful to Kate Middleton. When she introduced her baby to the world the day after his birth (God bless her forever - don't know how she did it!), she also showed the world what a very recent post-partum body looks like. Which is to say, it still looks pregnant. I still have quite a bit of a tummy, and I caught a few odd glances from students who might have been thinking that I was somehow four months pregnant, yet holding a newborn.

But I like to think that other people saw me and then remembered Princess Kate and her tummy and thought, "oh yes, that is perfectly normal." Let's hope so.

5 comments:

Yvonne Anderson said...

Rigdon is 21 months old and I STILL look 5 months pregnant!

Kathy Haynie said...

Gee...in that photo, it looks like you've cut your hair really short! The plaid shirt is a great postpartum coverup. :)

Jen said...

In all honesty, I don't think it can be overstated what Kate Middleton did for women everywhere. I, personally, didn't give her (or her clothes or her goings-and-comings, or her whatever-of-the-moment) a second thought until that day she showed her beautiful postpartum self to the public. I think it's a huge turning-point in the war on body-image issues in the media for women. I really, sincerely do.

Also: YAY FOR REGALIA FITTING! YAYYYYYYY! Congratulations!

Bridget said...

Why yes, my tummy looks great in that photo, doesn't it! :)

Liz Johnson said...

Completely agree on the Kate Middleton thing. Bless her and every other post-partum woman for stepping out and showing people what the real expectation is!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails