Friday, November 15, 2013

November 15th, outsourced

Here is a slideshow of much-loved lovies. Awwwwww. [HT Kathy]

Good teachers embrace their students' cultural backgrounds.

How to interact with introverts. [HT Liz]

My über-talented internet friend (who is also the SIL of a real-life friend) just had her book published. You should buy it (or enter to win it).

Ride the Moscow metro for 30 squats!

Before and after photos (via sliders) of the typhoon damage in the Philippines. [HT Cait]

This smacks ever-so-slightly of Elf on the Shelf, but I love it anyway: Dinovember. [This link has been all over the place, but Bryce had it first]

This is a long read, so maybe keep it open in a tab and read a little when you have a few moments: foreigners on things they could not believe about America until they experienced it themselves. [HT Eric D. Snider]

Are you a hangry person? Magdalena is. Learn the signs of a hangry person (featuring one of the best SNL clips ever, in my opinion). [HT Elisa]

This article about why you should use the bathroom BEFORE boarding a private jet has a few brief moments of irreverent language, but if you are of age, you should read it anyway. Because it is hilarious. And instructive. [HT Scotty]

8 comments:

Susanne said...

I like that 30 squat idea although I'd feel weird doing squats in front of people.

Were the families of any of the Filipino people in your ward affected by the storm?

Jessie said...

I thought the same thing about Dinovember at first, but the more I think about it, the more I realize they're not the same at all. Those parents are doing it because they want to, not because it's become another dumb cultural pressure. And they're using things they already owned, whereas that stupid EOTS is a total money-grab marketing ploy disguised as a "cherised family tradition," and is, basically, everything that's wrong with the over-commercialization of Christmas.

In other words, I despise Elf on the Shelf and I love Dinovember so hard.

Liz Johnson said...

Those things that foreigners said about America were REALLY interesting.

I'm also curious if anybody you knew had family affected by the typhoon.

Crys said...

Haha! The things is those parents who start Elf on the shelf actually think it is going to be fun, but then ten days in people are pulling their hair out. I'm sure Dinovember would end up being the same for me :)

Kathy Haynie said...

Man, how would you keep up with NaPoBloMo AND Dinovember? That said, if I had kids + dinos in the house, I would totally be tempted. Maybe for a random week here and there. If you do it, read the Dinotopia books with your girls. Or just read them anyway. They are gorgeous and wonderful. The pictures from the Philippines break my heart.

When I was 20 I was a stewardess on a VERY small airline. The planes carried 15 passengers. No bathrooms on board. Longest flight was 1 hour. There were a few times when that was too long. Never experienced the kind of explosion described in the article, but there were men + alcohol who had to pee. All I had to offer them was a plastic bag in the back of the plane. (And did you see the comments below that article? It was plagiarized??)

Cait said...

Yay I got a hat tip! Is that my first one on your blog? I'm feeling proud.

PS: Was Magdalena ever a model for a baby board book? We have one and there is a little girl in it that looks just like toddler her.

Bridget said...

Hahahaha, no, unless it was unwittingly. Does the picture look like it was taken by a 10-year-old on a mobile phone camera at a park in Egypt? Because there are a ton of those photos floating around out there.

Bryan Lewis said...

Somehow I totally missed this when it first went up. Thanks Bridget!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails