Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Mommy Moosli Review


When I heard about Mommy Moosli - a muesli cereal that contains five galactagogues (ingredients that boost milk production in nursing mothers) - I couldn't wait to try some. I have always been able to nurse my babies well enough, but my supply has not always been, shall we say, bounteous. I was excited to hear about a product that might help in that regard.

I purchased two bags of Mommy Moosli in November and consumed them over the past six weeks or so. Here is my review.

Taste. The flavor I bought was Organic Dark Chocolate & Ginger. I'm not a big fan of ginger, and ginger AND chocolate seemed kind of weird to me, but you guys - it was delicious. I am actually salivating just thinking about it now. I usually ate the muesli mixed with milk or plain yogurt, and I always looked forward to it.

That said, one of the ingredients of this cereal is fenugreek. The fenugreek granules were sometimes a little crunchy, especially compared to the other components of the muesli. However, this isn't your average cereal, so I was willing to make allowances for the fenugreek since the whole point was to increase milk supply.

Price. I paid $10 for each bag. That may seem to be a little steep, but again, this is a specialty product (and organic to boot). I hoarded it all for myself so my kids wouldn't get into it and it lasted for many breakfasts.

Effectiveness. I didn't notice a huge boost to my milk supply, but I don't think that's the intended effect. I ate it more in an effort to maintain my supply and maybe help out a bit during Sterling's occasional nursing binges. If I ate it every day over an extended period, I think the benefits would be amplified.

Final verdict: A delicious product for a fair price that helps maintain a baseline milk supply and gives a production boost during baby's growth spurts. I would definitely buy it again, and I hope my SIL isn't reading this so I can send some to her when she has her baby later this year!

7 comments:

Crys said...

Did it make you smell like maple syrup? I took fenugreek in pill form when I was nursing peach and noticed I started to smell like maple syrup...most distrubingly in my girl parts region. Sorry for the TMI ;-)

Yvonne Anderson said...

Is it just me or is that logo hilarious and a bit scandalous to be selling in that country?

Bridget said...

Hahaha, yes, except I bought it online in the US. They don't sell it in stores here (as far as I know). I had it shipped to my neighbor's parents in Georgia, who were coming here for a visit. The logo gave them pause because my neighbor is not currently lactating. :)

Ariana said...

I took fenugreek for awhile after I had my first baby... I totally smelled like curry. Like STRONG. I could sniff my forearm and smell curry. It didn't seem to help me, so I gave it up in favor of smelling a little more normal. lol

Bridget said...

No maple syrup smell from this stuff!

Jen said...

I LOVE the roundabout way that you had it delivered. LOVE. What's it like being able to maintain that level of think-ahead-ness?

Bridget said...

It's a fairly common thing here, actually! Word gets around when you have visitors coming (or you yourself are going to the US) and the requests start coming in...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails