Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Nightmares


I know many women have strange, very realistic dreams when they're pregnant. I don't. But: I have strange, very realistic dreams when I am sleep-deprived. Like these days. Sometimes they are so scary that I have to wake up Jeremy and take moment to have him talk me back into reality. Other times, I'm so glad that Sterling wakes up to eat so I can get some cuddles and love after a nightmare. A few weeks ago, I had the worst dream I can remember ever having. That one from when I was nine years old where all my family members were dressed up as ghosts on a pirate ship has finally been knocked off its "worst nightmare ever" perch.

These dreams are the kind of horrible where when I wake up and realize it was just a dream, I am so incredibly glad that I almost shiver from relief.

There are a few recurring themes. I often find myself dreaming that we are back in Syria. The other night, I dreamed that Jeremy joined the FSA and I had to get the kids out of the country by myself. We went in a caravan with our neighbors through the partially destroyed city, but in the chaos, Miriam and Magdalena were left behind with another family. So awful.

I also often dream about my children and other people's children dying in easily preventable ways - drowning or suffocating, etc. due to careless parents. Again, just awful.

When I find myself up early in the morning with Sterling, the sleep deprivation makes me a little irrational. Jeremy and a friend climbed Jebel Shams in Oman on Sunday. I heard from them via text on Saturday night that they had reached base camp (for lack of a better word). Then I heard nothing. Nothing at all. By Monday morning, I was so worried. Before 5am (Sterling and I were awake because he had woken up to eat and then spat it up all over me), I had made a list of everyone I was going to contact to search for my missing husband who was probably lying on a ledge at 3000m, horribly injured and cold and in need of assistance.

Turns out, cell phone reception was just spotty. He sent me a text before lunch on Monday telling me that everything was fine. He and his friend had a good laugh at this silly paranoid wife and her increasingly frantic texts (which possibly culminated in "if I do not hear from you by noon today I am calling someone to go find you." Noon, because even if one of them was injured, the other would have been able to walk down to a village by then. I thought it all through. At 4am).

Anyway. Sterling slept from 8 - 5.30 last night, so now I feel like I can conquer the world. And maybe stop having bad dreams.

9 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I have those kinds of dreams all the time when I'm pregnant, or when I'm anxious. It's horrible! I once had a dream where I was imprisoned and forced to watch my captors burn my children alive on a bonfire. I mean, C'MON. Where does my subconscious come up with that stuff?! It was horrible!

I've had that one where I'm trying to escape and I somehow lose my kids. Ugh. It's horrible.

I'm so glad Jeremy was ok. I also would've been freaking out. I've been known to call the State Police to check for accidents if Chris is running way later than I expect. :)

Amanda Ball said...

I have awful dreams all the time. Mostly they involve my kids getting kidnapped and sold into the sex trade. Awful.

elliespen said...

I have vivid dreams all the time but they're a lot worse when I'm pregnant, like right now. I woke up shivering at 4:00 a.m. this morning after a long involved dream of increasing terribleness culminating in a super-abusive guy who was convinced he was my husband throwing three large pythons into my face. Yeah. (Please note: my actual husband is pretty darn awesome and would never ever do anything like that.)

Melody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

I always suffer from nightmares as well, though sleep deprivation (and pregnancy—which is kind of like sleep deprivation) certainly make them worse. :)

Sarah Cook said...

I am sorry! Dreams can be terrifying. I had the worst dreams right after Camri was born until she was a few months old. I also had the careless parenting accident dreams. I would wake up shaking. I'm so glad they have dissipated!

Crys said...

I attacked Dr j once mid sleep. I thought he was an intruder and then when he grabbed my arms to restrain me from gouging he eyes out I started kicking and shrieking until he finally got me to wake up. Also recently he told me I yelled out, "don't let the baby take anything else out of me." Bizarro. The weird this is rarely do I remember what I dream about. I mainly just remember feelings of horror, grief (i have woken up sobbing) or anxiety. Dr j meanwhile actually can change his dream. If he has a dream people are being killed he gives himself superpowers and kicks butt and then wakes up to tell me about his "amazing" dream. Why can he do that an I can't?

Bridget said...

Because he's Divergent.

Nepal Trekking said...

Trekking in Nepal with Acute Trek Pvt. Ltd. an indoor outdoor trekking and tours operative company takes you that further way to guarantee you has an unforgettable adventure that you have been dream with Acute Trek is your part of choice. Treks Himalaya Hiking in Nepal Adventure Trekking in Nepal Trekking in Himalaya Nepal Tour Nepal Travel Holiday Travel Holiday in Nepal Hiking in Nepal Trek in Nepal Nepal Holiday Annapurna Trekking Everest Trekking Langtang Trekking Peak Climbing in Nepal Everest Base Camp Trek Annapurna Base Camp Trek Upper Mustang Trekking Helicopter Tour in Nepal Nepal Helicopter Tour Hiking in Nepal Kathmandu Pokhra Tour Peak Climbing in Nepal Nepal Peak Climbing Nepal Peak Climbing Tea House Trek in Nepal High Pass Trekking in Nepal Everest Helicopter Trekking Island Peak Climbing Hiking in Nepal Holiday Hiking in Nepal Holiday Hiking Nepal Hiking Nepal Hiking Holiday Hiking Tour in Nepal Hiking Tours in Nepal Holiday Hiking Tours

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails