Thursday, April 17, 2014

The US, from the outside

Magdalena's Year 1 concert was yesterday. The theme was "Around the World," with dances and short presentations about seven different countries: India, China, South Africa, UAE, UK, USA, and Spain. It was so fascinating to see the school's/students'/teachers' interpretation of US culture - it's a British curriculum school with very few American students and only two or three American teachers.

The recitations by the children included such tidbits as:

- The US is the home of such restaurants as McDonald's, TGI Fridays, and Chili's. [They also named a few main items of American cuisine - you can see them on the far left drawing - but I didn't catch what they were.]

- George Washington was the first president of the United States.

- And this little boy recited the entire Pledge of Allegiance!

In addition, the costumes (as you can see) were bell-bottomed jumpsuits. The music for the dance was "Moves Like Jagger."

I loved getting an outsider's view of my own culture. And I suddenly feel shamed into wanting to teach my kids the Pledge of Allegiance! It was all I could do not to start reciting it along with the little boy.

(Magdalena's part was about Spain. She did a great job. Yes, that is a sandwich instead of a flamenco fan.)

6 comments:

Sarah Familia said...

Magdalena's flamenco pose is adorable!

Liz Johnson said...

I LOVE THAT PICTURE OF MAJD. That is so awesome. And I would totally prefer a sandwich to a fan. Obviously.

I still can't recite the Pledge of Allegiance... and sometimes I forget the words to the Star Spangled Banner. But I don't know all of the words to the Mexican national anthem, either. Sigh. Failure all around!

Crys said...

Those bell bottoms are to die for! The dress adorable. The only time I ever enjoyed McDonald's was in Cairo. What does that say about McDonald's :)

Jessie said...

No need to keep internetting today, Magdalena's sandwichfan wins everything.

Kathy Haynie said...

Magdalena, you look AWESOME!

Bridget said...

Hahahaha, I'm glad you like the sandwich! She did have a fan at one point but in the chaos after the performance, she ended up with this sandwich so I just took the picture.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails