Friday, May 16, 2014

May 16th, outsourced

I've always wondered this: which passports are most accepted around the world?

Drawing eyebrows on babies will not disappoint you. [HT Lisa]

Here is a quick video primer on the spurious link between vaccines and autism. Very clear, concise, and fact-based...and therefore unlikely to change the mind of any member of its target audience, SIGH. [HT Suzanne]

Speaking of spurious! Behold, Spurious Correlations. Discover a new spurious correlation graph each day! My current favorite is "Number of people who drowned by falling into a swimming pool" and "Number of films Nicolas Cage appeared in." Somebody stop that man! Or stop the drownings, whichever.

This video is causing a stir in the UAE - as a marketing ploy, Coca-cola set up phone booths in migrant worker camps that accept Coke bottle caps as currency to pay for calls to their home country (I checked the country code of that first guy, by the way: Kyrgyzstan!). It's a nice gesture, but some people are saying that Coke was just using free internet-based calling anyway and that a single bottle of Coke costs 1/10th of a day's salary for these guys. Discuss.

School lunches around the world.

Here are some fun second-language maps of the United States.

I AM LIVING THIS: parents at the beginning of the school year vs. the end. School, please just end already.

Did you see that video of the cat saving the little boy from the dog? It's like he momentarily forgot Cat Code (Do Not Care, At All Costs). Here it is.

When you remove non-drinkers from the statistics, the UAE has the second-highest rate of alcohol consumption in the world. Statistics!!!

9 comments:

Amira said...

Kyrgyzstan!

Liz Johnson said...

I think I might be the only parent who is yearning for school to continue. Sure, my efforts have deteriorated like the link suggests, but what the heck am I supposed to do with four kids all day long?! Gah!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I so get the end of school thing. 29 years of children beginning and ending school was enough. An elderly friend says, "The two happiest days of a mother's life are the first day of school, and the last day."

Myrna said...

For me it had been 30 years between when my oldest started school and my youngest ended! I was so glad to get to the end of that!...and two months later, our oldest granddaughter came to live with us and so now I still have one more year to go, bringing my total years of dealing with public K-12 schools to 33. GAH! They don't even wait to call until the end of the day is a student misses a class. If Rosie is late to class at 10 AM, by 10:30 I have a phone call AND an email. They won't leave me alone! I hope it will really be the end for me next year.

Kathy Haynie said...

About those free phone calls. Would those workers have access to a computer to make a free internet call? Seems like they wouldn't have the equipment on their own. Not that I'm in favor of promoting soft drinks…but I kind of get the point. Three minutes isn't very long. Have you seen any of these booths, Bridget? Are there a lot of men using them?

Bridget said...

I haven't seen them around, but then, I don't hang out in laborer camps. I also get the point, but I think the thing is that Coke isn't paying for the calls (technically, since it's free on the internet), but the workers are. I don't know. If the workers don't care, I don't care! It's not anyone's job to get upset FOR them.

Ali, Joe, Reef & Jacob said...

thought this new study about the connection between autism and vaccine would backup ur video link http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X1400636

Bridget said...

Broken link?

Ali, Joe, Reef & Jacob said...

Study pooling data of 1.25 million children that found nil connection between autism and vaccines tested and the ingredients they contain, including thimerosal and mercury. Study done at University of Sydney and not funded by any government or pharmaceutical company.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails