Friday, May 30, 2014

May 30th, outsourced

I almost didn't click to watch this video because it had a sappy headline attached to it. I'm glad I watched, though, because this woman who fell down during a 600m championship race is AWESOME.

Political science advice for Queen Elsa (of Frozen). [HT someone...can't remember who, sorry!]

Emailing me a video of a woman eating two 72oz steaks in 15 minutes is something my mom did this week. 0:28-0:42 is where I start to get a little queasy. [HT Suzanne]

How to tell someone's age based on their name!!! I loved this. In the US, Miriam gets the "oh, my grandma was named Miriam" line a lot. [HT Andrew]

So, um, Glenn Beck made fun of #YesAllWomen? This is one of those times where I'm really hoping a clip was taken way out of context (though this would need a steamer ship full of context to be made right). On the same awful subject, what Elliot Rodger said about women reveals why we need to stamp out misogyny.

10 comments:

Jessie said...

The first link is taking me to a video of someone folding an origami camera. Very informative but not the intended link, I think ;-)

Liz Johnson said...

Oh Glenn Beck. Sigh.

Bridget said...

Let's keep the origami link for fun, because seriously that is a great camera (I was sending the link to Miriam in gchat, oops).. Here is the race link.

Jenn Ridgeway said...

My real name is, obviously, "Female-Born-in-the-1970's," but that's a bit of a mouthful, so I go by "Jenn" for short.

Jen said...

Glenn Beck makes me so cranky.

Cait said...

Ah! I want to read the political science advice for Elsa but I still haven't seen the movie yet so don't want to spoil it for when I will one day finally watch it.

Cait said...

Also, the name Lula is under the old ladies' chart. I would if it's the nickname for Tallulah, which is not a common name but popular among older African-American women in the South.

Susanne said...

I enjoyed that name/age thing Andrew posted.

Cait, I was reminded only yesterday that my great-great grandmother's name was Lula. She was from the Upstate, SC region.

I looked at behindthename.com, and it says Lula is a "Diminutive of LOUISE and names that begin with Lu."

Susanne said...

out of curiosity, Tallulah


GENDER: Feminine
USAGE: English (Rare)
PRONOUNCED: tə-LOO-lə [key]
Meaning & History
Popularly claimed to mean "leaping waters" in the Choctaw language, it may actually mean "town" in the Creek language. This is the name of waterfalls in Georgia. It was borne by American actress Tallulah Bankhead (1902-1968), who was named after her grandmother, who may have been named after the waterfalls.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/tallulah

Kathy Haynie said...

Names and age, seriously. There were 5 girls named Kathy/Cathy in ONE class I had in hs. In the 19 years I've been teaching, I've had only ONE student named Kathy (no Cathy's). Now at age 60 I'm beginning to feel like my name is "old"!!

Glenn Beck. Ugh.

Loved the race video.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails