Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Toy snob

When Sterling was born, our next-door neighbor gave us one of those large push-cars to (according to the box), "let baby learn to walk." I took it out of the box yesterday and noticed that it had a spot for batteries, apparently to enable some musical push-button functionality. I immediately gave an involuntary shudder, for I loathe sound-making toys. But then I checked myself and decided I shouldn't be such a snob. Sterling has an activity center thing that has some quiet tunes it plays, and that has been fine with me. So maybe this car toy thing would be fine, too.

NOT SO. I put in the batteries and pressed the first button I saw and was greeted with the following.

The batteries will be coming right back out of this one, sorry. Sometimes it is correct to be a snob.

(Even if it is alarmingly high-brow that one of the included songs on this thing is Ali Baba's Farm. Is that standard on US toys?)

12 comments:

Jen said...

"Sometimes it is correct to be a snob" = One of the top 5 sentences you've ever written.

Hannah said...

I had a good laugh over this. Since my sister was the last of our generation of cousins on both sides of the family, and since all my aunts and uncles were done having kids by the time she came along, people gave her all sorts of noisy toys with no fear of retaliation. Naturally, she loved them. I think my mom might have given some of my cousins a kit to make their own chewing gum to retaliate against my aunt for a particularly egregious noisy toy. That's a different thing entirely, though, since gum kits can be messy and icky, but probably aren't noisy.

Liz Johnson said...

Oh man. I hate the toys that make noise, and yet my kids adore them. We were gifted this creepy activity table that said stuff in the weirdest voice - in English and Spanish. It sounded like it was either out of a haunted house or a pedophile's dungeon. Creepy creepy creepy. It got tossed.

Bridget said...

OK, the idea that people would retaliate in kind is hilarious! And a chewing gum kit?? Wow, that took some nerve!

Ariana said...

I hate noisy toys...if it's too loud but he loves it, cover the speaker area with a folded kleenex and a bunch of clear packing tape. Then it's way way more tolerable.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Oh the horror!

Do you remember that toy called ZOD that my folks gave us? It was the actions as much as the noise that made it so invasive. I wish the battery compartment hadn't rusted out making it useless, because I would love to pass it on for Sterling's use.

Lisa Lou said...

As I was watching this, my husband came into the room wondering if I could hear the cats in heat. He was hearing this toy.

Kathy Haynie said...

Loved watching Sterling move around in the background. What a darling little guy!

Jessie said...

My husband spends our Christmasses with his family taking the batteries out of electronic toys. He's my hero.

Sarah Cook said...

But it looks like Sterling likes it! :) heehee

Kitty Crazy! said...

Ditto on what Sarah said! Janice

Sherwood family said...

Yup. There's nothing wrong with being a toy snob. A neighbor gave us a swing with music and the first rule I laid down with all of the children was that under no circumstance were they ever ever ever to even think about turning the music on. With lots of dire penalties attached.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails