Thursday, June 05, 2014

Baby food bliss


One of my favorite things I've done differently with kid #3 is feeding him store-bought baby food. BLISS. I only ever fed the girls homemade baby food and that worked well enough at the time. I started out doing the same with Sterling, but I got tired of him spitting out my painstakingly prepared concoctions. Let him spit out the store-bought stuff, I thought. And he did. For a while, at least.

Now that he has gotten the hang of this solid food thing, though, I'm not inclined to give up the store-bought stuff. It is so dang handy. I can't get over how much I love just opening up a jar/pouch and feeding it to him. Plus, I am just never going to make the kid pot au feu or chicken and couscous or any of the other ethnic concoctions they have here, so thank you, random Moroccan/French/British/Turkish/English baby food brands.

As he gets used to it all, I am bringing him more into our regular family meal foods, which I then smoosh or blend to a manageable texture. He's had refried black beans, chili, hummus, and borscht that way. The store-bought baby food stage is relatively short, but I am so glad I chose that path this time around.

11 comments:

Amanda Ball said...

I did store-bought for kid 3 too, and it was magical!

Jason said...

So I'm not huge on baby food in general...the breast and squished up stuff off my plate is pretty much what we've given all our kids, but I will not lie I love those little pouches. We always have some in our cabinets now and they are amazing!

Jason said...

Obviously this is Crys and not Jason :)

Jen said...

So, I was wondering about UAE food standards....like.....are there more safeguards against certain preservatives, GMOs, etc., there than there are in the US? I think I'd be much more likely to go store-bought in Europe, for instance, than I would here. (Not that I haven't, because those little pouches are basically the best thing that's ever happened to me....but it was just a thought.)

Jen said...

(I meant to imply that I'd guess that food quality THERE > food quality HERE.....not the other way around.)

Sarah Cook said...

I love the fruit/veggie pouches. They are so nice. I also LOVE the picture of Sterling and his, how do you put it, spoon of power?

Bridget said...

Hahaha, yes, the Spoon of Power! He has to have it or he won't eat. So I let him hold one spoon while I feed him with another. :)

Bridget said...

Amanda, you posted on fb one time about feeding Eleanor and the picture showed a jar of baby food and it was like a Eureka moment for me. So I owe you. Also, what is it with kid #3? My neighbor down the street has a baby Sterling's age and she is going store-bought this time around, too.

Bridget said...

I don't know the general rules, but at our neighborhood store there is a Turkish non-organic brand, a Moroccan non-organic brand, and then British organic brands. So definitely European adjacent. If I go to Spinney's then there is a lot more selection. It's all halal, though!

Liz Johnson said...

It's so funny how things change from kid-to-kid. I also went from homemade to store-bought (but with #2... I gave up sooner, ha). And then with #3/#4, I just never got up the energy and fed the kid whatever was on my plate. Baby food is exhausting, man! I don't think Claire ate solid foods until she could tackle me and wrestle it out of my clenched fists, because I just didn't feel like cleaning up the mess.

jyoti soni said...

Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page. baby organic clothing Babyandmumstore is an Australian online baby store selling organic and non-organic baby and children clothing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails