Thursday, June 12, 2014

I support Kate Kelly

Today I heard the news that Kate Kelly, founder of Ordain Women, is in danger of being excommunicated.

As detailed in a post I wrote in April, I was never fully on board with Ordain Women, but I have admired Kate Kelly ever since I heard her speak on this podcast. Listen to that podcast and tell me that is NOT a believing woman who loves and values her faith, who wants to make things better from within, and who has tried to raise important issues using the framework already established by the church.

Today's news breaks my heart. I feel such sadness for Kate, my dear sister in the gospel. She has done so much good for the members of the church and I feel sad at the thought of her not being one of us anymore.

I wrote in April that "I am excited to be a member of the church at this time of small changes, and potential for greater changes." Today, I feel deflated and, frankly, quite a bit less excited. I am sometimes an optimist to a fault, and I want to believe that hanging pictures of female leaders in the Conference Center (etc.) was never meant to be an end in and of itself, but a beginning step along a long, hopeful path toward greater gender equality in the church. And dangit, the optimist in me says it still is a beginning step along such a path. This I must believe.

I'm just sad that Kate Kelly apparently won't be making the journey with us.

11 comments:

Anna said...

This is all I have been thinking about all day. I've been reading all the articles about it from different new sources, and bloggers as they come up. My favorite comment has been what Kate Kelly put on her personal Facebook page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wntX-a3jSY

Andrew said...

Yup.

Jen said...

(The internet ate my comment.)

You know what's not cool? The rejoicing that is taking place on social media by those who profess to be good, Christian members of the church. I don't care how someone feels about Ordain Women or Kate Kelly or John Dehlin---those feelings do not grant permission to vilify or to gloat or to say, "I told you so." (I'm SUUUUUUUUUUPER cranky about this, can you tell?)

The ordination of women is not the flag I carry. But I can say with certainty, however, that my experience as a woman in this church has improved since my brothers and sisters began advocating for a greater measures of voice for women in the church (recognizing that measure to take on different forms for different people). My faith has was strengthened as I watched one of my sisters pray on the largest stage we have in the church, and I'm heartened by local leaders who take to heart that the seemingly little things in church administration at the ward level matter.

Jen said...

Or in other words,

http://segullah.org/daily-special/spiral/

Bridget said...

Yes, one of the awful things about this is that some people will take it as validation for the horrible things they said to OW supporters. Count me cranky about that, too!

You also put into words how even those of us who weren't affiliated with OW can be so affected by this. My experience as a woman in this church has improved because of OW, too - not just for issues they've raised, but for the personal study I've done because of them.

Cait said...

Sigh.

breanne said...

Thanks for posting, Bridget. I've tried to stay out of online discussions about these issues because I think things are so easily misconstrued online and I have friends on both sides of the issue who would misinterpret what I said. But I have benefitted a lot from reading the discussions. Your first post about OW was one of my favorites that I read.

Crys said...

Ahh...I totally missed this until today. I love John Dehlin. Shoot half the time I feel like my life is one of his Mormon Story podcast. It is hard when you feel a kinship to a particular group to know where this leaves you. Currently I'm without a temple recommend. I don't know...it's that whole do you support other groups question that hangs me up. I want to answer it honestly and I guess I've just been putting off having to do it directly. Maybe when I get home I will and just let the chips fall where they will. The thing is there is not consistency on some of this stuff. Each bishop and stake president come with their own baggage I guess you could say and chose to deal with things in their own way...depressing.

Kathy Haynie said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Me, too. Thank you for sharing this.

Liz Johnson said...

I am so sad.

Sarah Cook said...

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know I do believe in respecting and treating ALL in a Christlike manner. And while enlightening, I did not feel the spirit while listening to the podcast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails