Thursday, July 24, 2014

Hiking in Bavaria

I take the kids on a hike every morning here. The trails start about 50m from our front door. We have a few favorite routes, though there are enough criss-crossing trails that we can mix and match the path we choose to get anywhere.

There's Ice Cream Mountain (we hiked that one when we were here before).

Johannes Kappelle, where you can go inside and ring the bells (!!!!).

and Amy Kappelle, which is actually called Romanische Kappelle.

We call it Amy Kappelle because a dog named Amy lives in a house near the trail, and she often joins us for some play time near the chapel. That's her on the stairs, in fact.

Sometimes we get lost in the network of trails. Sometimes we have to blaze our way through a stinky cow manure field and up a steep, forested hill to get back on track. Sometimes Sterling starts to fall asleep in the backpack and we have to laugh and goof with him like fools so he will wake up again and take a proper nap once we're home.

We run into a lot of spiderwebs. We pretend we're Hobbits or some of Robin Hood's merry/henchmen. We get caught in the rain. We do Choose Your Own Adventure hiking where each kid takes a turn deciding whether to go left or right at each fork in the road. We come across signs that say "Botanische Lehrpfad" and do not understand what that means.


That happened last week. I kept the phrase in my head all the way home and looked it up first chance I got. Except I typed it in wrong and Google Translate told me it meant "Botanical Instructive Mortgage" and I was so confused.

It actually means "Botanical Learning Trail," and we went that way this morning. I think all the lehr (learning) has been taken out of the Pfad (trail), though. It was just a regular trail. But still a nice hike. We came across this old wall.
Who knows how long that's been here?

I'm soaking in this summer of hiking. Trails and forests and spiderwebs in the face, even, are good for the soul.







6 comments:

Jen said...

This might be one my very favorite things about you. You're such a great mom.

I am such a sucker for stone walls. In my neck of the woods, they're almost always 100-200+ years old. (And they aren't NEARLY as mossy as the one you pictured.) I'd imagine that German wall could have been even older!

Bridget said...

The church near that wall dates back to the 1300s, so I imagine the wall is of similar age. Old enough to be awesome, anyway!

Liz Johnson said...

These pictures don't even seem real!!!! They're so incredible!!!

Too bad your mortgage wasn't as instructive as you'd hoped, though. :)

JosephJ said...

Makes me think I should take the boys hiking every morning... your pictures are fantastic, and are making me salivate for a beautiful trail. Tell me: are mosquitoes and other pests and issue, or is there an idyllic breeze that purifies the air?

Bridget said...

Mozzies are not a problem. Ticks potentially are. There are also some weird biting flies that have bothered us a few times. The spiderwebs across the trail are the worst of it, which means we have it pretty good!

Sherwood family said...

Amen to hiking! We took the kids today. When Sophia asked when would stop taking them hiking, I told her that she would have to get used to it because we'll never stop hiking. How about hiking with us in Tajikistan?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails