Friday, August 29, 2014

August 29th, outsourced

What your junk drawer reveals about you.

The wettest place on earth. Two words: LIVING BRIDGES. [HT Ashi]

Back to School: the 1970s vs. today.

Back to School: The Onion.

A man lived in the woods of Maine for 30 years and did not have contact with other human beings (until he was caught stealing food) and I wasn't informed (until now)??!??! [HT Liz]

Here's what happens when you Like everything you see on Facebook. [HT Andrew]

My favorite link this week: tracking state-to-state mobility in the US. I was clicking through a few states and wishing I could see where people from a certain state ended up, too, and YOU CAN (here). The influx of Californians into Oregon isn't as dramatic as I expected it to be (though I suppose there could be plenty of Californians in Oregon who weren't born in CA and therefore would not show up as such on the chart). [HT Kathy]

In defense of the Knee Defender. I'm team Knee Defender myself. I routinely do not recline my airplane seat, out of courtesy for the person behind me. It provides so little additional comfort for me, and causes great discomfort for the other person. I had never thought of it as the airlines double-selling that space, but it's kind of true, isn't it?

4 comments:

Crys said...

What about the guy who not only puts the knee defender in but also reclines his seat like the jag off behind me on my flight to Nairobi...btw this was a night, completely in the dark flight. That seems like a total uncool move to me. I solved this problem by having three I my kids sit behind me on our flights home. This way I could fully steal all their exta space and if by chance their feet brushed the back I didn't get all offend like some adults I've seen...as if adult knees never hit anyone...shesh. I'm against. I think they set up potential confrontations. Because seats have the ability to recline a little there is the expectation that they will. If people want a seat that reclines all the way or a seat that doesn't have someone reclining on you buy a first class ticket. Can't afford it, suffer in silence like the rest of us :). Flying is horrible. I think we all just have to be our nicest and suffer together....just my thoughts after eight hours infront of a knee defender.

Bridget said...

OK, that guy is kind of a jerk. I should say that I rarely recline my seat, unless it's long-haul AND the person in front of me reclines. Then I feel like it's acceptable. Otherwise you can't see your little screen or properly use your tray table.

Wizz Air has seats that do not recline. Granted, it was only a 5-hour flight, but it was nice to not worry about a seat coming crashing into my space, and I hardly missed the "comfort" that comes from reclining my own. So maybe the solution is for airplane interiors to be better designed, or, failing that, not allow seats to recline at all.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I love the state-by-state mobility and will look at it closer later on. My family was one of those transplants from NY to CA in the 50s. In the 80s and early 90s I recall a noticeable movement of Californians to Oregon, not so much now. In the Oregonian obituaries there are an inordinate number of people who moved here from the Dakotas and Nebraska. Must not be a desirable place to live if people want out. They traded wind and bitter cold for livable temps and a long rainy season. They did the right thing.

Liz Johnson said...

That Facebook article caused me to deactivate my account for a whole 12 hours. What the heck. I feel so used.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails