Monday, September 08, 2014

American Mormon Abroad (The Exponent)

I have a guest post up at The Exponent: American Mormon Abroad. I could have written pages and pages about being a Mormon overseas, but I chose to focus on a few scattered "hmm, that's interesting" moments that offer a peek at what it's like to be American, Mormon, and living outside of the US.

Have a read, if you care to! If you're not Mormon, it's probably only of marginal interest, but you are welcome at The Exponent anyway. In fact, if you're not Mormon, maybe enlighten me as to how this phenomenon is at work in your religion. Does one particular culture influence the way you worship?

Many thanks to Liz for the invitation to guest-post at The Exponent!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Speaking of not being Mormon...

Have you read Women at Church? The very last chapter details feminist movements going on in Catholic and Jewish and Evangelical congregations at the same time as OW that I just had NO CLUE about. It was very interesting to have those movements pointed out to me.

And I loved your article.

And I might just do a post about my ex-pat experiences (for Suzanne). :)

Susanne said...

I loved reading it, Bridget! So glad you shared!

Yes, Nancy, please do! :)

Señora H-B said...

I loved it! A friend of mine linked to it yesterday and I may have blathered on about how much I love your blog . . . Well done!

AmandaStretch said...

Love it! Right now I'm in a ward that seems to be 2/3 Utah/Idaho/AZ transplants and African immigrants, some who are converts from Islam. It's super interesting sometimes.

AmandaStretch said...

*1/3 African immigrants

Liz Johnson said...

YES! Thank YOU for posting!

Nancy - what is your overall feeling on "Women at Church?" I haven't read it yet but it's on my list!

Bridget said...

I haven't read that book, but I want to, based on what I've heard about it from you.

Bridget said...

Thanks! It seems to have struck a chord (or nerve? ha ha) with a lot of people.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails