Friday, September 05, 2014

September 5th, outsourced

Baywatch, Gaza style.

Could Mr. Darcy afford a stately home today? I've always wondered. [HT Dave]

This is so bizarre: a British man and his Saudi wife were attacked by members of the religious police. And there's video.

I'm sure most of you don't need a reason, but here is why you shouldn't click on any of those stolen nude photos. It's not a scandal, it's a crime. Also: "[I]t strikes me as deeply ironic that we will vehemently protest at a free Facebook messenger app because we're outraged at reports that it can access our phone's numbers, and yet turn around and excuse the serving up of women's bodies for our own pleasure. " [HT Ashi]

Americans tasting exotic Asian delicacies. Watch it and then watch it again. I've had natto before, by the way. It is pretty gross. [HT Jen]

17 British accents, illustrated by movie quotes. [HT Jeremy]

In this week's FLAMES. ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE category, we have "Only responsibility can stop rape." And that responsibility is the woman's, the author says.

In related news, this college student will carry around her dorm mattress until her alleged rapist is punished.

Moving on: all the comments on every recipe blog. "I didn’t have buttermilk, so I just poured baking soda into a container of raspberry yogurt. It tasted terrible." [HT Andrew]

This is almost too good to share. In 1971, the Mormon magazine The Ensign published an article about how to sew lingerie. Sadly, the illustrations do not accompany the online archived version, which does, however, include the word "peignoir." What a gem! [HT Anna]

Finally, what was the worst year in history? Discuss. [HT Anna]

5 comments:

Jen said...

Madeline Kahn would be having a 6-alarm fire on her face about that article. FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES.

Worst year in history? Wowzers. That article gives you a lot to chew on. I really don't have an informed opinion, but I'm hesitant to pick anything remotely modern---I feel like the luxury of living past 40 puts the last 200ish years ahead, regardless of conflict.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Times have seriously changed. Over the last 40 years we've gone from wearing elegant nylon tricot clothing & nightwear to softer, plusher lazy knits and flannel. In high school and even after, I made slips and pjs out of tricot, and even quilts out of it. Am not sure the stores even sell tricot anymore.

Hannah said...

I had flames on my face from the "only responsibility can stop rape" article, too. Unfortunately, I hear similar ideas pretty routinely, including from people who I really think ought to know better. What I always feel like saying (and sometimes do say) is that if men can't drink alcohol without assaulting someone, then maybe THEY need to take responsibility and drink less.

Stacie Perkins Palmer said...

I seriously just substituted yogurt for buttermilk in a cupcake recipe last night! And it was terrible! Should have driven 0.75 mile to the store. That post was hilarious. Still laughing about it. Thx for sharing. Couldn't bring myself to read the "only responsibility can stop rape", as I don't need anymore flames around my face tonight. Outraged just by the title. Grrrr!

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, yes, Suzanne, I remember the tricot quilts. And I regularly substitute 1 cup milk + 1 Tablespoon white vinegar when I don't have buttermilk on hand. It works well for me, although the buttermilk makes things fluffier. I appreciated the article about the stolen nude photos.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails