Sunday, October 19, 2014

Seriously, have a look at my Mormon underwear

YOU GUYS. My church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) has just released a video/article explaining - and showing - the temple garment, aka Mormon underwear (or, ugh, "magic" underwear as it is so, so unfortunately called by outsiders sometimes). I cannot even believe this happened.

But I am so glad it did. Over the years, I always got FLAMES. ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE knowing that the only decent picture of the temple garment that ever got passed around on the internets was that awful one where the people's heads are cut out of the frame and the garments are wrinkled and ill-fitting and the whole thing is just sordid and disrespectful. Now you can see what the real thing looks like, with a bonus look at the robes we wear in the temple itself. Seriously!

It's a breath of fresh air. I'm sorry that, for outsiders, the garment can't be more exciting than what is essentially a stretchy undershirt and bike-style shorts (at least that's the kind I prefer), but there it is. My garments have flapped on drying lines in the breezes of America, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, and the UAE. Yes, they hold special significance for me as a reminder of covenants I have made, but they are also, on some level, underwear that I wear and wash and dry like anyone else.

Speaking of. I have actually been waiting for an opportunity to blog about this, but it seemed kind of weird. UNTIL NOW. Did you know you can have your garments custom-made? Well, you can. I just had it done. All you have to do is call customer service (check the web page where you would ordinarily order the garments) and talk to a nice lady in Utah and she will set you right up. I wish I had done this years ago. Because underwear that you wear every day should feel GOOD.

13 comments:

breanne said...

WHAT. You can have your garments custom made?! I have had so many conversations with frustrated friends about how we wish we could just have garments custom made and it would solve so many of our problems. Thank you, thank you for alerting me to this fact!

Jen said...

I SO love it when the church does such overt things like this.

And also to be filed under "I" for "I wish I'd known that sooner:" YOU CAN PAY YOUR TITHING ELECTRONICALLY. (Though, I'm wondering if you already knew this, Bridget.)

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I just sent you the link to that video this afternoon. Have to say I was blown away. In 1974 (my frame of reference for temple things) all this was so hush hush. The video seems to be the Church's way to head off the misunderstandings that abound in our very informed world, and it does the job well.

Jen mentioned electronic tithing. Another well-kept secret about tithing is that you can pay it with your investments. We've been doing this for years. Ward clerks should be able to explain the how-tos to interested people.

Ariana said...

My neighbor works in the Dist. Center section of our local Deseret Book. She told me about the cuztomizing. I haven't done it yet. I have short legs, as in I hem my jeans to a 28" inseam, and they come about 1/4" from the ground when I am wearing shoes. And I have a shorter torso, so having waistbands come 2-3" above my belly button is just not my favorite. I need to look into this more.

Lisa Lou said...

We're panning on showing this in our temple preparation class. Perfect. And also, a little weird to see the temple robes NOT in the temple...

Crys said...

I laughed so hard when they said "magic underwear" and then that they aren't magic. I guess my thought was if they were magic they would hold up a pad...which they don't :). I've always been tempted to order costume ones but worried I'd mess it up...was it easy? Jason's grandma always costomizes her own after she buys them. She says she doesn't worry about the altering since the church used to let you make your own. I love fiesty almost 90 year olds :)

Bridget said...

Yes, Breanne, custom made! Let me know if you can't find where to call. It's somewhere in there on the distribution website.

Jen, you guessed it - that's how we pay our tithing. :)

Crys, the process was easy except I did have to read my measurements over the phone to the woman in Utah. Practice saying "crotch" out loud. Hahahaha. It took about two weeks to get the first two pairs, which I am currently trying out for at least five washes (as per their instructions). Then I can order more, or ask them to adjust it further.

Ariana, it sounds like custom sizing could work out really well for you.

stevie kay said...

WHAT?!? I am calling in my custom order stat!

stevie kay said...

WHAT?!? I am calling in my custom order stat!

Susanne said...

That was interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Liz Johnson said...

I was totally, totally floored by this being released. In fact, my first thought was that somebody hacked the Mormon newsroom, but then it was too respectable of a video to be a hack (ha). Major kudos to the church for such a good video.

Stacie Perkins Palmer said...

I wish the public/media response could have been more like, "Ok, nothing to see here, folks. Move along." But instead, there is an article about garments on every media outlet (The Atlantic, NPR, everywhere), and the fascination/frenzy continues to be fed. Can the conversation please go away... Ugh. But thanks for posting about it, Bridget. I really just want the conversation to go away in the mainstream media.

AND--custom order? Cool! That is good news. I wonder if this could satisfy those who are still discontented by the garments' "evolution" since 1844, sleeves to the wrist, bottoms to the ankle, and a collar, too.

Bridget said...

I hope this official video will help the conversation go away!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails