Friday, November 14, 2014

November 14th, outsourced

I am an instant fan of this series: Women Rejecting Marriage Proposals in Western Art History (language warning late in the post).

Here is a beautiful language family tree representation.

You will probably enjoy Life as a Fake Beauty Queen in Small-town China. (The article, not the life).

Eight things that were better in East Germany (NOT).

It is a fact that I break into snort-giggles every time I remember certain lines from this Serial parody podcast (youtube, but it's all audio, not video). My favorite line (highlight to reveal so I don't ruin the joke): "Where was *I* 15 years ago? Did *I* kill Hae? My confession: next week, on Serial."

I've always wanted to hear more about Dieter Uchtdorf's experience in Germany, so I was glad to read this article.

This article (women with children are more productive than anyone else) deserves more discussion than perhaps I can give it here. But it's interesting and Jon Stewart's analogy about after-school soccer practice totally rings true for me.

I don't even really know what is going on here but it involves pandas and it is adorable.

Dwight Schrute quotes as motivational posters. YES.

This house looks great. UNTIL PHOTO #3. [HT Liz]

I appreciate Stephen Starr's slice-of-life-in-war-torn-Syria articles. We can hear the big news from every other outlet; for those of us who used to live there, it's the more mundane war-time stories that are most interesting. This one is about car trouble during the civil war there.

In case you're feeling pretty good about the world, here is a list of awesome places that you will probably never see, due to unrest. I had the chance to go to a few of these places, but it will be years before the chance comes again, if ever. [HT Carolyn]

8 comments:

Señora H-B said...

THE DOLLS. OMG THE DOLLS. (Seriously, did their Realtor NOT advise them on anything? The plants all over the floor, all of the other junk...)

Bridget said...

I know! I thought the same thing! The realtor is probably just as terrified as we are.

Liz Johnson said...

I still weep over the loss of those Buddha statues. Oh man. And it's just horrible to see how many of those destroyed monuments are in Syria. Ugh.

That Jezebel article made me so happy, even if I'm not a "working" mom. Because SERIOUSLY. YES. I love it when my biases and hunches are confirmed.

I know I sent you the Zillow link so I should probably stop talking about it, but I seriously die laughing every time I click through those pics. EVERY TIME. It never gets old!

Those Serial parodies are hilarious. Oh my gosh.

Bridget said...

Yes, the Buddha statues really get to me, too. They were so amazing.

Glad you like the Serial podcasts. "Me, driving to every Best Buy on the east coast, checking for phone booths: next week, on Serial." Sorry, I could just keep quoting all the episodes all the time and it's probably so annoying.

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Couldn't those people afford a decent realtor? One who would tell them to put their crap in storage so that buyers would take them seriously? That actually happened in my neighborhood a few months ago, when some folks put their house up for sale and the realtor told me that every, every surface was covered with breakable collectibles. He practically had to force them to get a pod to put it all in storage. And they filled the pod. And apparently moved all the crap into their new place.

As long as I'm talking about that house, I will tell you it was a time-machine. You walked in and voila! It was 1984 all over again. 1984 tile, 1984 wallpaper, 1984 vinyl, etc.

dave said...

That last post is so depressing to me. Thanks again, though, to you and Jeremy for giving me the only chance I'll apparently ever have to see many of those sights in Syria.

Glenda The Good said...

Baby pandas...I feel like that's what it looks like when I try to brush Cheetah's teeth. Adorable!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

Painful to view the slides of treasured places that are damaged or destroyed. How grateful I am to have seen a half dozen of them during peaceful times. A people without cultural links is like a ship without an anchor.

I remember the outrage when the Taliban announced they were going to blow up the statues. Voices from around the world begged and pleaded for them to not do it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails