Friday, November 07, 2014

November 7th, outsourced

This is a really beautiful short film about Damascus. Lovely and sad and haunting all at once.

Rabia Chaudry is blogging about Serial! She's the woman who initially brought Adnan's case to the attention of Sarah Koenig. Also, Slate is doing a podcast about Serial. Yes, a podcast about a podcast. It's worth listening to, especially if you don't have people to discuss the podcast with in person (I want to get Jeremy listening, but he's not really a podcast person).

Here's an interesting take on my fellow reverse-SADers: they look forward to the end of Daylight Savings Time! [HT Liz]

#AlexfromTarget.

Cool slidey-pictures from before/after the Berlin Wall! [HT Ashi]

This 80s aerobic accompaniment to "Shake it Off" is the best one of these I've seen since they Lady Gaga'd Newsies. [HT Jeanelle]

This The Onion article about Ira Glass is simply the best they've ever done. Nuanced but detailed, obviously written by a fan, and oddly almost plausible - perfection. "For the Harper High episodes last year, I came up with 352 different high school student characters. Those were particularly tough to record—I barely got through them. I lost my voice for two weeks after creating that pep rally."

Ooh, you totally can say octopuses! [HT Kaylee]

3 comments:

Sarah Familia said...

The Damascus video is gorgeous.

Susanne said...

Love the octopuses video!

Another friend shared about reverse-SAD recently, and I thought of you. I find the dark rather depressing (especially the first couple of weeks of the time change) so it's so interesting to me to read of people who like it better.

Thanks for the links!

Suzanne Bubnash said...

There is talk about abolishing daylight savings-time here and I will be unhappy if that happens. But not because I have reverse-SAD; I don't. It's just that I enjoy the summer months with our glorious weather, and if I want to work in the garden or take off on a bicycle ride at 8:30 p.m., I can, because it isn't fully dark until 10:30 p.m. An end to DST would wipe that fun right off the map.

I also love the dark months when we say "so-long" to the sun at 4 p.m., and we cuddle up in our fleece and wool. And read books around the wood stove.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails