Sunday, November 09, 2014

Secure

ISIL/ISIS/IS/whatever made some threats recently against the American/Western presence in the Arabian Gulf, i.e., us. We had a letter from the girls' school today, and security around campus has been more intense lately. Certain pedestrian gates that used to be open all the time are locked in the evenings and watched over by guards. The police at the university gate stop more cars, more often, for longer. Our housing area has more guards, too, keeping watch.

It's a little unnerving, but as both the university and the school have reminded us, there have been no specific, credible threats against Sharjah in particular. It's most likely just a lot of terrorist hot air. But in the meantime, security is tightened, just in case.

7 comments:

Kitty Crazy! said...

So sorry to hear this; I was hoping you'd be spared from any of the effects of ISIL. Another thing to worry about! We will continue praying for your safety. Janice

Crys said...

:( I like how you can keep a cool head. I started having panic attacks this summer after the violence in lamu. It was hours away but it was unnerving. I could never figure out if the guards and the electric fences around the compound made me feel more safe or less. Wish the world could solve their problems with good debates...

Suzanne Bubnash said...

I'm glad the university and community are paying attention. I heard about the ISIS threats against American educators from someone here.

Susanne said...

Someone told me about this a couple weeks ago, and I wondered about you. Thanks for the update.

Nancy said...

Unlike.

Though I suppose I'm happy that they're amped up security. I'm sure that's a beast though. Getting into AUC campus or even CAC campus was annoying as it was when we lived in Cairo. I can't imagine how it is now, though increased security is probably for the best.

Anyway...stay safe! <--The best, most trivial advice ever. :)

Liz Johnson said...

I greatly dislike this, and I also dislike that I hadn't really heard about that until this post (gah). I'm glad that you have increased security, although I imagine it's nerve-wracking and also annoying.

Is there a "go" plan in place for Americans in your area? Like if things were to get unstable really, really fast, does the university or embassy have a protocol for Americans in the area?

Bridget said...

No real go plan, or if there is, I'm not in the know! A major temporal affairs teaching point at church is to have enough cash to fly you and your family back to your country of origin with little notice, so I guess that's our go plan. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails